Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tie twenty coconuts together with long strings - we call it the "coconet".
:Locolaugh:

You must be like "the professor" from Gillligan's Island.

No problem for him

^^^ Nothing looks better in the morning before the first cup of coffee! :)

I am working on my 2nd cup of coffee ... looking like this ---> :juggle:

JR

House shopping sucks.

My wife and I found the house we want, but the thing is at least 20% overpriced. We put in an offer anyways, but I guess we offended the seller. Of course, now anything that we look at sucks compared to the one we want. We are less than 1.5 months till we have to be out of our place, so the clock is ticking. There isn't much on the market where we are looking. If some new stuff doesn't come on the market this week, we might be moving back to the in-laws for a couple of months.

House shopping sucks.
My wife and I found the house we want, but the thing is at least 20% overpriced. We put in an offer anyways, but I guess we offended the seller. Of course, now anything that we look at sucks compared to the one we want. We are less than 1.5 months till we have to be out of our place, so the clock is ticking. There isn't much on the market where we are looking. If some new stuff doesn't come on the market this week, we might be moving back to the in-laws for a couple of months.
I remember the feeling, we had a deadline too. We made an offer on a house that was similarly overpriced and that had been on the market for over 400 days. We went back and forth but the owner wasn't going to move into the realistic price range. So we walked away.

hope the search turns up spmething you like.

House shopping sucks.

I feel your pain man. We've put in offers on 3 houses but people don't seem to understand that their houses aren't worth twice what they paid for them any more. Or that their mortgage balances (which are extraordinarily high due to their constant cash out refinancing) have absolutely no bearing on what the house is worth.

We've been told to go jump off a cliff two or three times now. I kind of like it to be honest. Our realtor hates me but I kind of like that as well. For 18 months now she's been telling me that the market is turning around and I'm going to be priced out of the market. I keep sitting on my pile of cash and telling her I'm not buying a damn thing unless I get a phenomenal deal.

We're on a month to month lease in a townhouse so we can leave whenever we want at this point. I guess it would kind of suck to move back in with your in-laws but I've been looking at the buy/not to buy decision as of late as it pertains to my taxes. My opinion is that if prices fall another 10% over three years then I come out way ahead by waiting to buy. I have seen estimates saying prices will fall another 30%. I tend to believe the 30% number.

Either way. I wouldn't go up on your offer. They'll probably come crawling back in a couple of months with hat in hand. Then you can really put the screws to them. Do you know if they're in default or if they're late on their mortgage?

Either way. I wouldn't go up on your offer. They'll probably come crawling back in a couple of months with hat in hand. Then you can really put the screws to them. Do you know if they're in default or if they're late on their mortgage?
No it is an estate sale and the owner (the daughter) doesn't appear to be in any rush to sell. It has been empty for 2.5 years and only recently put on the market. No mortgage. They will likely be able to wait us out, unless we decided to rent for a year, but there are a number of reasons why we don't want to do that.

The listing agent kept giving us comps that she said justified the price but they were either sold over 1 year ago (Chicago has declined 15% since then) or were houses that had 150K of renovations put into them. She also said they have been getting a lot of activity, so it evidence that it is price right which is hogwash. Sure, from the listing sheet, it looks nice and is in a good location, but go there and the renovation list starts adding up, a significant portion of which would be needed before moving in.

Luckily, the in-laws wouldn't be as bad as it sounds as long as it is for only a couple months max.

The listing agent kept giving us comps that she said justified the price but they were either sold over 1 year ago (Chicago has declined 15% since then) or were houses that had 150K of renovations put into them. She also said they have been getting a lot of activity, so it evidence that it is price right which is hogwash.
To me a lot of activity and no accepted offers means the house is overpriced and many people are underbidding like you or they are just walking away from the house in general bc it is too expensive. COmparable comps should be within the last 6 months at the oldest, she is full of shit.

No it is an estate sale and the owner (the daughter) doesn't appear to be in any rush to sell. It has been empty for 2.5 years and only recently put on the market. No mortgage. They will likely be able to wait us out, unless we decided to rent for a year, but there are a number of reasons why we don't want to do that.
The listing agent kept giving us comps that she said justified the price but they were either sold over 1 year ago (Chicago has declined 15% since then) or were houses that had 150K of renovations put into them. She also said they have been getting a lot of activity, so it evidence that it is price right which is hogwash. Sure, from the listing sheet, it looks nice and is in a good location, but go there and the renovation list starts adding up, a significant portion of which would be needed before moving in.

Luckily, the in-laws wouldn't be as bad as it sounds as long as it is for only a couple months max.

There is an estate sale in my grandmother's neighborhood that we've been looking at. Same thing although the house is probably priced 30% too high. They won't even consider anything but a full price offer. However, eventually those houses need work (even if they are vacant) and the heirs have property taxes, insurance, and other holding costs to pay. They'll eventually come of the price but it will definitely take longer than someone's personal residence. As far as the listing agent goes, those people have their heads stuck so far up their asses right now there's almost no point in even talking to them.

And I agree with snick. Showings don't mean anything. We had 28 showings on our house in ATL and not a single offer that was higher than the company buy-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I HATE Civil3D!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't Autodesk fix it's programs before they release a new one.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I HATE Civil3D!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't Autodesk fix it's programs before they release a new one.
Revit and Productstream are two of the worst software packages I have ever used. They were both rushed to market, and I just happen to have been employed at two different places that were used as alpha testers for them (except we had to pay full price for the buggy-ass software, and find workarounds for shit they promised, but didn't work yet).

I echo the sentiments of shitball Autodesk products. I work for a very large company and we are alpha testers for almost all of Autodesk's products. We have a very good relationship with them such that we direct a lot of the features that are available in new software packages. All that being said, we're probably going to dump Autodesk in the next year or two and switch over to Bentley products. Autodesk is getting worked by Bentley in everything except for site development and I'm sure Bentley will catch up in that department very soon.

I echo the sentiments of shitball Autodesk products. I work for a very large company and we are alpha testers for almost all of Autodesk's products. We have a very good relationship with them such that we direct a lot of the features that are available in new software packages. All that being said, we're probably going to dump Autodesk in the next year or two and switch over to Bentley products. Autodesk is getting worked by Bentley in everything except for site development and I'm sure Bentley will catch up in that department very soon.
As far as Civil Engineering goes, I'm sure Bentley is the more attractive choice for CAD...but in the MEP or Machine Design worlds, Microstation has a LOT of catching up to do. When we have to do Microstation drawings for the government, we do all the CAD work in AutoCAD MEP, the export to Microstation. Even though it is a pain in the ass to do the export, it sure beats the hell out of fighting Microstation every step of the way.

My problem today is this error I'm getting upon opening the drawing after having multiple FATAL ERRORS and then the program just crashes again. I checked the Autodesk Forums and the problem is all these temp files are created every time a drawing is opened and if it's not closed "properly" the temp folder gets overwhelmed with these files and they have to be manually deleted. The other option is uninstalling and reinstalling Civil3D. I've been deleting files for 2 hours now. We'll see how much longer it takes.

Back