Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It sure would be nice if the vendor provided me with the drawings showing the name plates on the vessels so that I could determine whether they are U stamped or S stamped.

It would also be WONDERFUL if these jackasses doing the rigging would protect the weld end preps on the pipe so that I don't have to dangle hundreds of feet in the air to determine how to fix it.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

No arguments during my meeting this morning, but no progess either. I'd say we ended up moving backwards a couple miles.

I now have to write a consensus summary, to be used as the basis for revising the document at issue, from a meeting during which we did not agree to anything other than writing a summary. I hate management!

No arguments during my meeting this morning, but no progess either. I'd say we ended up moving backwards a couple miles.

I now have to write a consensus summary, to be used as the basis for revising the document at issue, from a meeting during which we did not agree to anything other than writing a summary. I hate management!

You should come here for a day if you want to see some serious meeting productivity. In one weekly review meeting, which comprises all of our field engineering staff, superintendents, and area managers, we discussed semantics such as the quantity of bolts that so and so was missing for a given piece of steel, and who had ordered them.

The best meeting of all though, was a 45 minute discussion about how a vendor rep was going to submit a daily report for timekeeping. Would it be a word document? And e-mail? An Excel sheet? Who would the time sheet be sent to? Would it be stored on the network drive, or e-mailed weekly?

You should come here for a day if you want to see some serious meeting productivity. In one weekly review meeting, which comprises all of our field engineering staff, superintendents, and area managers, we discussed semantics such as the quantity of bolts that so and so was missing for a given piece of steel, and who had ordered them.

The best meeting of all though, was a 45 minute discussion about how a vendor rep was going to submit a daily report for timekeeping. Would it be a word document? And e-mail? An Excel sheet? Who would the time sheet be sent to? Would it be stored on the network drive, or e-mailed weekly?
For a litigation project I was working on we were having a meeting one day with 10+ lawyers at a hotel by the airport so everyone could just fly in/fly out. All the lawyers worked for the same client and were all senior level attorneys. They spent an hour deciding if they should order the conference phone which costs $100, so they could tie in someone else to the meeting. That conversation probably cost the client $10K plus in attorney and consulting fees.

Congrats VT!! Where's the program? Do you start in the fall?

UMass-Amherst, they have a satellite location near me with classes at night. Took my first one this spring to see if I'd like it. (They let you roll up to 2 classes in) I did so I applied for the fall and found out I got in.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRR

UMass-Amherst, they have a satellite location near me with classes at night. Took my first one this spring to see if I'd like it. (They let you roll up to 2 classes in) I did so I applied for the fall and found out I got in.
nice. Congrats VT. at least you don't actually have to go Amherst, IMHO it's the middle of nowhere.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

No escape today. Audit in the office, screw-ups in the field. I want to take these pipefitters and superintendents and throw them off the side of the building. If they would just slow down for one second and look at the big picture, we'd save MONTHS worth of precious schedule.

[rant]

So I mentioned to an old college friend that's a contractor that I am planning on building a house. I also mentioned that I might, repeat word might, be interested in paying him a "consulting fee" of $1,000 or $2,000 to serve as a "consultant". He asked to see the plans. I forwarded the plans to him asking him to "let me know what he thought of the plans." He has sent the f-ing plans to every stinking subcontractor in town to get prices to build the thing. Never mind the fact that he doesn't have a freaking clue what I'm looking for, what materials I am planning on using, or what finishes I have planned on. Then he says he'll give me an estimate to build it himself. I told him I didn't want him to build it. I didn't tell him this but 1) he's nowhere near organized or detail oriented enough for me 2) I don't want someone else building my house, I want to do it. Now I have to call him on my way home and tell him that I don't want him building my house. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I guess we won't be friends for a while.

[/rant]

Last edited by a moderator:
[rant]So I mentioned to an old college friend that's a contractor that I am planning on building a house. I also mentioned that I might, repeat word might, be interested in paying him a "consulting fee" of $1,000 or $2,000 to serve as a "consultant". He asked to see the plans. I forwarded the plans to him asking him to "let me know what he thought of the plans." He has sent the f-ing plans to every stinking subcontractor in town to get prices to build the thing. Never mind the fact that he doesn't have a freaking clue what I'm looking for, what materials I am planning on using, or what finishes I have planned on. Then he says he'll give me an estimate to build it himself. I told him I didn't want him to build it. I didn't tell him this but 1) he's nowhere near organized or detail oriented enough for me 2) I don't want someone else building my house, I want to do it. Now I have to call him on my way home and tell him that I don't want him building my house. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I guess we won't be friends for a while.

[/rant]
You mean that you want to be your own GC?

good news VTE!

you will have to keep us up to date on the latest mgmt jargon

how many times can you say "sustainable" in one sentence?

seriously though, good news.

good news VTE!

Hopefully at least half as many times as he can use "synergy!"

[rant]So I mentioned to an old college friend that's a contractor that I am planning on building a house. I also mentioned that I might, repeat word might, be interested in paying him a "consulting fee" of $1,000 or $2,000 to serve as a "consultant". He asked to see the plans. I forwarded the plans to him asking him to "let me know what he thought of the plans." He has sent the f-ing plans to every stinking subcontractor in town to get prices to build the thing. Never mind the fact that he doesn't have a freaking clue what I'm looking for, what materials I am planning on using, or what finishes I have planned on. Then he says he'll give me an estimate to build it himself. I told him I didn't want him to build it. I didn't tell him this but 1) he's nowhere near organized or detail oriented enough for me 2) I don't want someone else building my house, I want to do it. Now I have to call him on my way home and tell him that I don't want him building my house. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I guess we won't be friends for a while.

[/rant]
You mean that you want to be your own GC?
Yes

good news VTE!

Hopefully at least half as many times as he can use "synergy!"
If you leverage synergy for sustainability, you get a triple word score.
Here's my attempt, words highlighted in bold are those that you are expected to use at least 700 times a day in upper management.

We're leveraging our synergies withing our profit centers to produce sustainable solutions and create value for our stakeholders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back