Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to upload the picture tonight, but there is a spider spinning a web at the corner of our garage and the roof awening...huge web probably 3 ft tall triangle, with the circles. The spider itself is about 1.5-2 inches big. Just have to remember not to take that corner too fast else we will end up with a face full of web.

Brown recluse = scary.
Wolf Spider, if that is what I get in my house, you can count the hairs on its legs from five feet away before you squish it with a roll of paper towels.

The Wolf spiders are the most common ones to where I live. I'm dreading the cold weather, as I'm sure they're looking to make themselves at home inside my house. They were the first spiders I've ever squished (armed with a broom and a bucket for helmet, of course), that I have actually felt with my shoes when I kick the rolled up carcass away. They have enough heft to them that I can feel it through a pair of Timberlands.

On another note I fell down the stairs on Friday. I was getting ready to go to my BIL's wedding rehearsal and was carrying my daughter (20 months old) downstairs. I was wearing my good shoes and they were wet because I had just taken the dog outside. My feet flipped out from under me and I fell between two landings (about 6 steps). My elbow and my ass absorbed the entire impact and I managed to keep my daughter from falling. She landed right on top of dear old dad. My right ass cheek is black and blue and I was worried I broke my arm for a while but it is just swolen.

[SIZE=36pt]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/SIZE]

I was shredding old documents last night. My cable bill has gone up 50% in the last nine years with no change in package.
I have experienced the same thing, luckily here in Portland, Comcast actually has competition (Qwest) and I have successfully played them off against one another to keep the price the same for over 2 years.

I hated both Comcast and Qwest, but they have become much more helpful since they now have to actually compete with someone.

^We've got some competition here too. I get full blown digital cable and highspeed internet for a good bit cheaper than I did for basic extended cable plus internet in VT, where they only had Crapcast.

Our one local cable company is crap, but I'm afraid to switch to a dish. I'll just handle not having sound every once in awhile.

I saw a spider attack a grasshopper last week. We've got brown recluse, black widows, hobo and wolf spiders. I'm thinking it was a hobo spider, judging by the speed at which it attacked that grasshopper. It weirded me out.

Our one local cable company is crap, but I'm afraid to switch to a dish. I'll just handle not having sound every once in awhile.
I switched to dish yesterday. So far I'm pretty impressed with their customer service. They installed on a Sunday. They got there when they said they would. The technician set everything up (hooked everything up on my tv's, I didn't have to lift a fingure). After the technician left I had a problem with my DVR (it was overheating due to a defective fan) and someone was back at my house within 2 hours to replace the unit. So far so good, and between the switch to dish and my new internet service provider (Clear) I'm spending half as much on tv and internet as I was before with Comcast.

The hardest part will be trying to teach my wife the new channel listing. The guide lists channels all the way up to 9000 and beyond. It's a little daunting. :wacko:

As far as the bugs go, I spray this stuff around the house every few months.

http://www.orthohomedefense.com/smg/catalo...0070004&id=

It seems to keep the critters at bay although it explicitly says it does not kill the brown recluse or black widow. I wonder why that is? It says it kills other spiders, what makes those two any different (besides being poisonous to humans).

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a chance to "bundle and save" by combining our TV with our current internet and phone package. It might be worth looking into.

We spray that stuff too, since the spiders give me the heebie jeebies and we have our bedroom in a finished basement. The spider/grasshopper incident happened at someone else's house. It really has made a difference and I also put out those "insect monitor" things that are basically glue traps. It catches a lot of the strays.

We have a chance to "bundle and save" by combining our TV with our current internet and phone package. It might be worth looking into.
We have everything bundled together and the customer service for the TV and internet are great we can call them at midnight on a Saturday and they will fix the problem free of charge, but the phone part sucks. Hubby called the 24 hr service number, was told they were just an after hours center and all they could do was start a ticket for someone to come out the next day and charge us $40 just for showing up...hubby said no thanks. We hooked up a non-digital phone where the line comes into the house and no dial tone...so it is an outside issue. He called them friday morning during normal business hours about it and they were going dial into the neighborhood box to see if something was wrong while they set up in appointment for someone to come out that afternoon to take a look. Well whatever they did when they hooked into the neighborhood box fixed it and we cancelled the dude. Even an outside problem was a $40 fee for them just to show up.

I was out hiking and saw one of those hornets/wasps carting off a paralyzed spider to take home and lay eggs in. My girlfriend, wanting to take some video got very close, close enough to really annoy the wasp which dropped its proposed eggbag and chased her. Then the bugger started chasing me and thankfully a Ford E150 came rolling along (Mr. wasp was carting his prize across a two lane road) and smacked him around a bit giving us time to escape. The bastard was still chasing us after about 200 feet when he gave up.

Kill%20it%20With%20Fire%20Aliens.jpg

Funny you should mention.

I tried.

Apparently, every aerosol I have in this house is non-flammable. Bug spray, air fresheners, you name it.

Funny you should mention.
I tried.

Apparently, every aerosol I have in this house is non-flammable. Bug spray, air fresheners, you name it.
No WD-40? Pam cooking spray is also quite flamable.

Back