Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Of course I did, MA. I'm touched that you respect me enough to rip into me every now and then.

Fuck! Sometimes I really do wonder why I don't just take my car to have the oil changed. Usually my problem is getting the dam oil filter off (on my car it's in a difficult to access position) but today my problem was the f-ing ramps. I really don't know why I continue to use the ramps. I have a nice jack and jack stands. I guess the ramps are just an "easy" alternative, even if they are a pain to get the car onto. Usually the problem is getting up them. The obvious issue when driving a car up these sorts of ramps is that you are traveling up a "steep" grade, and thus the car is required to exert a little more effort to get up them. Then you get to the top, where you have a very short flat area...

...see where this is going? Usually I end up carefully driving up the ramp and thinking I've hit the top, let off the gas and roll back down the ramp. Son of a bitch. Today my experience was much worse. Today I was determined not to stop short, so I did much worse. I went over. Well not really so much over as the right side wheel pulled the ramp back and fired it towards the back wheel of the car. Pinning the ramp under the right side of the car. The left front tire was on the left ramp. Yea! So now I have a car left side up, right side kinda hanging in the air, but still pinning the ramp under the right side of the frame. So I can't just back the car down the left ramp to correct this. Fortunately I have a decent sized jack. One capable of lifting the car off both of the ramps quickly. Why I don't ever use this to begin with is a mystery to me. I guess it's just laziness. It's easier to drive up an incline then it is to lug the jack up, position it under the car and lift the car. Lesson learned the hard way I guess, I'll be using the jack from now on. Also, I don't recommend using rhino ramps with a front wheel drive car.

I've never had a problem with either of my wrong-wheel drive cars on the Rhino ramps. :blink2:

Do your ramps still have the rubber feet on it?
Yes, they still have the rubber feet on them. The floor of my garage is pretty smooth and the ramps always seem to slide a little anyway. I'm not sure if their is an added level of difficulty in that all our vehicles are manual drive. It's a tough balancing act between stopping the car at the top of the ramp, engaging the clutch to early and rolling back down the ramp or dumping the clutch altogether and stalling the car. I'm not going to mess with it again. I think in future I'll just jack the car up and put the ramps underneath the wheels, so I get the benefit of just getting to drive the car back down but without the excitement of trying to drive the car up the ramps. :D

No harm done this time around but it's an episode I don't want to repeat.

I hate holidays in the middle of the week...most people then take the whole week off and there is no one available to answer questions.

^ ya but on the plus side you also aren't bothered as much and can get other things done. ;) Glass half full Snick...

^ ya but on the plus side you also aren't bothered as much and can get other things done. ;) Glass half full Snick...
not in the government world. Most inquiries/info request fire drills come in friday afternoons before the weekend and right before holidays...all wanting answers yesterday. I have been trying to answer stupid questions and the people who can provide the answers are on vacation.

Over the past week I've been called an intern, a "little girl", and "Tiffany the IT person" by various coworkers. But still no one has called me a MILF. :(

*Edit* I have no idea who Tiffany is.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe you like a Tiffany to them...or Tiffany from IT looks like you. As far as no MILF calling that probably a good thing or you'd have a basis for harassment.

I still get called kiddo a lot...an not just from people in house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back