Someone pretending to be an engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
industry exemption. everyone who works for a manufacturing company and can operate a calculator can call themselves an engineer. (ability to operate calculator optional)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the guy posts on facebook that he's "Choo-Choo Charlie, Engineer" who cares?
As far as I'm concerned, anybody who can make a train run with Good 'n Plenty candy should be grandfathered in.

I remember i was out in the field, the foreman approach me and said, "Hey, youre the engineer, and I would like to become an engineer myself', I told him, go ahead call yourself engineer, then he answered back, no, i want your certificate, (FE and BS and MS eng certs) well you have to back to school for that and write the board exam. I just started laughing, he doesnt know how hard it was to get those certs.

I think they should make the laws stricter with the engineer title. Only someone with a B.S. in engineering should be allowed to call themselves an engineer. It is watering down the profession in my opinion. Sanitary engineer... that one gets me pissed...
In some states, now you cannot call your self an engineer and even imply that your offering engineering services (like on a business card for a business located in that state) or write letters addressing technical content for a project located in the state without being licensed IN THAT STATE.

It doesn't matter that you have the degrees or a license in an other state, you violate state X's laws by not being registered in state X. If that makes any sense.

Currently our company does not use "engineer" in any of our titles. It simply says "Staff", "Senior Staff", "Associate", "Principal", etc.

We do list PE but add the state qualifier. PE (MA), PE(MA, NY, CT, and 3 others), etc.

In some states, now you cannot call your self an engineer and even imply that your offering engineering services (like on a business card for a business located in that state) or write letters addressing technical content for a project located in the state without being licensed IN THAT STATE.
Which states? In CA they have exempt industries. There are thousand of people, particularly EEs, calling themselves engineers with impunity. Including people actually working for the state. Plus, I'd bet a large portion of the engineering professors in our state don't even have PE licenses.

but there are regulations on the type of things they can do, and I assume the titles they can use. But just calling themselves a so and so Engineer, I don't think so over here.

I've had engineer on my business card ever since I graduated (8 years), but have only had my PE for the last 2 years.

Which states? In CA they have exempt industries. There are thousand of people, particularly EEs, calling themselves engineers with impunity. Including people actually working for the state. Plus, I'd bet a large portion of the engineering professors in our state don't even have PE licenses.
but there are regulations on the type of things they can do, and I assume the titles they can use. But just calling themselves a so and so Engineer, I don't think so over here.
For one, Alabama. They are a few instances were this has resulted in a minor violation and fine.

But, the only time I've seen it enforced is with Engineering Services companies. I've never seen it with exempt industries, or the gazillion "software engineers" there are.

I've had engineer on my business card ever since I graduated (8 years), but have only had my PE for the last 2 years.
Did it show like this on your card... John Doe, PE even your not a PE? Man youre brave or shall I say have the guts to do it.I cant do that.

Did it show like this on your card... John Doe, PE even your not a PE? Man youre brave or shall I say have the guts to do it.I cant do that.
I don't even have to wait for him to answer. NO.

His business card probably said something like wilheldp Position: Electrical Engineer.

Just like the business cards of tens of thousands of non-PE engineers in the country.

Which is fine and I believe appropriate because he is a degreed engineer. My beef is with the people that call themselves custodial engineer, facilities engineer, operator engineers, etc. There is nothing wrong with being called a janitor, maintenance tech, or equipment operator.

There is nothing wrong with being called a janitor, maintenance tech, or equipment operator.
Ah, but in these politically correct, boost your self esteem times, janitor, maintenance tech or equipment operator do not convey feelings of happiness and joy!

I don't even have to wait for him to answer. NO.

His business card probably said something like wilheldp Position: Electrical Engineer.

Just like the business cards of tens of thousands of non-PE engineers in the country.

my business card finally is right "Steel Man, EIT - Structural/Bridge Engineer" I'm so proud and I'm distributing it anywhere and whoever I met.

In PA you only need one PE in the company for all the others to be allowed to use the term "engineer"
Same in Oklahoma.

I remember being brainwashed in undergrad though that only people with PE's can call themselves engineers. I would be upset at the high school dropouts at the local public utility that staked where to put high-line poles (that an actual engineering firm laid out on real designs) as calling themselves engineers. It kinda made me upset that people back home equated all of my college and hard work to become a PE with those guys.

It doesn't bother me anymore, especially after talking with some old timers from the OK board that supervised the PE cut score meeting that I attended last year. I think it helps to have some mentors that are either retired or near retirement that have obtained the level in the profession that you want to obtain to help keep you focused on your goals rather than on what others are doing.

i heard an engineering title for a stay at home mom the other day. Household engineer if i remember correctly.

I think they should make the laws stricter with the engineer title. Only someone with a B.S. in engineering should be allowed to call themselves an engineer.
Soon to be an M.S. if the whole B+30 stuff gets enacted.

That would be for a professional engineer though. In my world the law would state that you may only call yourself an engineer if you have B.S. in engineering and you may call yourself a professional engineer if you passed the PE exam. A B.S. plus a M.Eng without a PE would still be an engineer.

My world would also contain flying turtles, talking elephants, and attack parrots used by the police and military.

I am trying very hard to keep my mouth shut.... but I am not sure it's working....

I have yet to ever claim to be an engineer... BUT... I worked hard to get to where I am at. I review "your plans" and inspect "your job sites". I worked my butt off to get the degrees I have... I think that because I have worked as hard as I have in combination with the degrees that I have obtained, I can be an engineer.... I might not be able to get my PE for quite another few years.... but I trump the interns when it comes down to it even when they have a PE.

(btw, if attack parrots were used by the military, my life would be so much nicer)

Back