Smart people I need your help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
So let me ask you all something..

I'm staying at a crummy extended stay hotel for probably next 3 weeks..

They don't have wi-fi but they provide a cable for your pic or lap top? I guess this place is a decade or so behind...

Could I buy a router and make my own wi fi? I don't have a PC here just an iPad.. I think you need a pc? Our router at home you had to use a of to set it up and then you don't need it anymore?

Anyone got any ideas to grab me some wi fi? I am using the iPhone as a tether but I only have a 5 GB plan?

Any wireless router (or even cheaper, wireless access point) will be able to take an ethernet connection and form a wifi network from it. Should be a piece of cake and cost <$50.

But don't you need to be the internet account holder to set up the wifi?

Sorry for crummy spelling but I wasn't sure if I needed a pc to set it up or not?

I guess I can go buy one and take it back if it doesn't work!!!

A lot of the WAPs will self configure if you plug in an ethernet cable, but if it is one of those places that has a login screen, it might not work right. I've never tried to configure a router from the browser on a cell phone, but I assume it's theoretically possible.

There isn't any wi-fi at all here so I am thinking everything is hard wired...hell it may even be dial up? Hope not...

I'm surviving but...I'm probably gonna look for another place that is a little more modern.. It's overall quiet except for slamming doors and typical hotel noise, mostly construction workers I think..

What made me think if this is there is a note on the wall by the Ethernet outlet that's says "creating your own wi-fi network isn't allowed". So I think I am just going to get a cheap one from staples and give it a try and return it if it doesn't work....

What made me think if this is there is a note on the wall by the Ethernet outlet that's says "creating your own wi-fi network isn't allowed". So I think I am just going to get a cheap one from staples and give it a try and return it if it doesn't work....

I think that sign is an indication that it will work just fine. If they are patrolling for that kind of thing, make sure to pack it away when you are gone for the day so the cleaning crew doesn't spot it.

Also, just for giggles, I just logged into the configuration section of my wireless router from my iPad. Just type in the normal 192.169.x.x number in the browser and viola.

I think that sign is an indication that it will work just fine. If they are patrolling for that kind of thing, make sure to pack it away when you are gone for the day so the cleaning crew doesn't spot it.

Also, just for giggles, I just logged into the configuration section of my wireless router from my iPad. Just type in the normal 192.169.x.x number in the browser and viola.
Typically it is 192.168.1.1 If anything different it would be printed in the "quick start" guide. A side note on patrolling for Wi-Fi (which is beyond ridiculous I might add), with most newer routers, you can hide the SSID and still broadcast it.

Can you get work to get you a hotspot router? Those work just as well and are ideal for field offices. The rates are a little higher, but you end up saving at the end because you are not paying for installation of routers, cables, etc. Its mobile to boot, so take it to the field office and you have access!

Back