Small Firm. Type of Computer to buy for CAD

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who the heck used MicroStation any more???!  I haven't touched it in years.  Ever since Caltrans stopped specifically requiring it, I think most California companies stopped using it and use ACAD almost exclusively.   

Last edited by a moderator:
stay-out-of-malibu-lebowski-o.gif

Stay out of Malibu...... Deadbeat!

acad is great if you are designing a Wendy's parking lot or some other similarly (non) challenging project

as long as there isn't too much drainage design necessary. that **** is hard

There are definitely lots of pre-configured options out there. However, you didn't necessarily mention a budget assuming the owner was open to the idea of upgrading.  Either way, independent of the manufacturer, my recommendation as a small computer business owner would be a workstation class desktop PC. I'm partial to the HP Z-class workstations. Below are (2) options:

Option 1

Option 2

Some key points to keep in mind when looking for a CAD type workstation:  solid state disk (SSD) for main operating system drive, 8GB memory minimum (16GB preferable), Core i7 or Xeon CPU, and if budget allows, NVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro video card for enhanced graphics rendering. Hope that helps.

It sure is. But looking at the specs you posted, memory is most definitely not your bottleneck. It's that 4th generation i3 CPU you have (circa 2014) which is only dual core. That is a processor that is more tailored for standard home use, not enterprise applications such as ACAD 3D. Newer 2D and 3D CAD applications are now multi-threaded and run more efficiently on quad, hexa, and octo-core CPUs. The i7 and Xeon type processors are prime candidates for this. In addition, it also greatly helps to have supplemental graphics video processing to aid in rendering. A solid state drive (SSD) will also provide night & day difference in terms of program loading and processing performance as compared to that of the older conventional spindle type drives.
Hey 

So I talked to the owner and he said to send him recommendations. Since he gets deals from Dell, he send to give him recommendations for Dell PCs. His budget is around the $1500 mark but he is willing to spend a little more here or there. So can you give me some recent of current DELL pcs that would meet this budget with the graphics card memory and processor you recommend to best use Microstation, GEOPAK, and Autocad? 

Would really appreciate it. 

There are definitely lots of pre-configured options out there. However, you didn't necessarily mention a budget assuming the owner was open to the idea of upgrading.  Either way, independent of the manufacturer, my recommendation as a small computer business owner would be a workstation class desktop PC. I'm partial to the HP Z-class workstations. Below are (2) options:

Option 1

Option 2

Some key points to keep in mind when looking for a CAD type workstation:  solid state disk (SSD) for main operating system drive, 8GB memory minimum (16GB preferable), Core i7 or Xeon CPU, and if budget allows, NVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro video card for enhanced graphics rendering. Hope that helps.

It sure is. But looking at the specs you posted, memory is most definitely not your bottleneck. It's that 4th generation i3 CPU you have (circa 2014) which is only dual core. That is a processor that is more tailored for standard home use, not enterprise applications such as ACAD 3D. Newer 2D and 3D CAD applications are now multi-threaded and run more efficiently on quad, hexa, and octo-core CPUs. The i7 and Xeon type processors are prime candidates for this. In addition, it also greatly helps to have supplemental graphics video processing to aid in rendering. A solid state drive (SSD) will also provide night & day difference in terms of program loading and processing performance as compared to that of the older conventional spindle type drives.
He also mentioned to tell him specific specifications so he could see what deal he could get that way as well. 

Hey 

So I talked to the owner and he said to send him recommendations. Since he gets deals from Dell, he send to give him recommendations for Dell PCs. His budget is around the $1500 mark but he is willing to spend a little more here or there. So can you give me some recent of current DELL pcs that would meet this budget with the graphics card memory and processor you recommend to best use Microstation, GEOPAK, and Autocad? 

Would really appreciate it. 
I'm sorry to say that unfortunately $1500 isn't going to get you very far in the way of a workstation class PC. If you want to make an omelette, you're going to have to break some eggs. While workstation class is more expensive, it's also a "future-proofing" investment. Paying more up front means you won't have to do periodic upgrades down the road later on for something you paid you less for. Think of it as buying a used car vs. that of buying new. Buying the used means you know you're going to have periodic maintenance associated. Buying something more new means more $$ up front but little to no maintenance.

Here's something to start with from Dell: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t5810-workstation/pd?oc=cup5810w7p_2&model_id=precision-t5810-workstation

Note, that's just the starting price before even adding a SSD and auxiliary video card. Let me know if you have further questions/concerns.

I'm sorry to say that unfortunately $1500 isn't going to get you very far in the way of a workstation class PC. If you want to make an omelette, you're going to have to break some eggs. While workstation class is more expensive, it's also a "future-proofing" investment. Paying more up front means you won't have to do periodic upgrades down the road later on for something you paid you less for. Think of it as buying a used car vs. that of buying new. Buying the used means you know you're going to have periodic maintenance associated. Buying something more new means more $$ up front but little to no maintenance.

Here's something to start with from Dell: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t5810-workstation/pd?oc=cup5810w7p_2&model_id=precision-t5810-workstation

Note, that's just the starting price before even adding a SSD and auxiliary video card. Let me know if you have further questions/concerns.
Thanks. I'll see what he says.

What SSD and Auxilary Video Card do you recommend? and what do you mean by "Auxillary Video Card"?

Thanks. I'll see what he says.

What SSD and Auxilary Video Card do you recommend? and what do you mean by "Auxillary Video Card"?
Refer back to the HP recommendations I provided earlier as to the model and justification for each.

So attached is what I got for the Dell PC you sent. Let me know what you think.
That looks more in line with what I would expect for a workstation class machine. That PC should be able to handle just about any CAD programs you throw at it. Two comments, you might be able to save a bit of $$ by down-grading to the NVidia M2000 card (4GB vs. 8GB). Though, I'm a firm believer in the phrase "go big or go home". If you can get the 8GB, go for it. Just adds more future-proofing. For the SSD, I'd suggest bumping that up from 128 to 256GB if possible. Once you start installing higher level design software, drive space starts to get consumed rather quickly. Hope that helps and good luck pleading your case! :thumbs:

That looks more in line with what I would expect for a workstation class machine. That PC should be able to handle just about any CAD programs you throw at it. Two comments, you might be able to save a bit of $$ by down-grading to the NVidia M2000 card (4GB vs. 8GB). Though, I'm a firm believer in the phrase "go big or go home". If you can get the 8GB, go for it. Just adds more future-proofing. For the SSD, I'd suggest bumping that up from 128 to 256GB if possible. Once you start installing higher level design software, drive space starts to get consumed rather quickly. Hope that helps and good luck pleading your case! :thumbs:
Thanks so much! Would you advise AMD or Nvidia? Because there might be more cost savings in AMD possibly?

AMD FirePro™ W5100 4GB (4 DP) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapters) 
or

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Thanks so much! Would you advise AMD or Nvidia? Because there might be more cost savings in AMD possibly?

or

spacer.gif

NVidia generally has the edge in workstation class graphics. Hence the mark-up. Would have to compare specs between specific models though to confirm which is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back