Sizing Orifice Plates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrui00

Reaction score
What is the best reference to size Orifice Plates to measure flow?

Thanks,

I've found that the size of the orifice doesn't matter, it's the quality and quantity of the lube that you need to worry about.

What is the best reference to size Orifice Plates to measure flow?

Thanks,
I dont understand the question.

Are you asking what equations you should use to compute the hydraulic flow through a orifice plate? If so just use the weir (below the center) and orifice equations.

If you are asking for written references, I like Chow - applied hydrology and CERM, but any hydraulics textbook should work.

If you are asking how to actually take a metered reading of an outflow on a constructed orifice plate ... there are specialized stream gages that would probably work, but someone else might have a specific reference/recommendation for you.

Is sizing of orifice plate associated with Electrical Engineering? --seems it may fall under mechanical or civil eng!

Electrical orifice plates? Like the guy at best buy trying to sell you monster cable, and the guy at the car stereo store who installs cheep stuff. The guy at the radio shack told me there was actually a study done proving your wasting money on monster. But what if you had an electrical orifice connector? Throttling electron flow rates and such? What what

To all the electrical engineers: when you install ceiling fans, do you need an orifice plate?

If it is a residential some electricians use wood members to support the fan and a plate that have a clip to keep the romex cable in place...some others use a box with a tbar hanger..both are sold at lowes for fan applications

Back