Silent Spring

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you know why this book was hailed as a milestone in environmental awareness?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

I was just posting this poll to see what people know.

Earlier today I was discussing historical perspectives on CERCLA (Superfund) with a younger colleague. I was surprised at how little she knew about the historical framework of the CERCLA legislation as well as other major environmental laws (e.g. RCRA, TSCA, CWA, etc.).

When I was in school taking classes for my undergraduate degree (Env Eng), we were required to have a basic understanding of the historical framework and major milestones for all of the major environmental laws. Without having learned the history behind the legislation, I don't believe I would understand the laws and subsequent amendments and re-definitions as well as I do.

I was just curious to get other perspectives.

JR

I never read it, but I know what it is.

Whenever I give a presentation, host a workshop, or start off a public hearing about proposed new regulations or amendments, I always give a little history of the law and/or regulations in question, along with related laws.

I do this in part to help people understand the "why" behind it, but mostly to cover my ass -as in "I'm not making this stuff up, folks. REALLY!"

The political and business climate here is very anti-regulation, and I have had some unpleasant experiences. The worst was a letter-writing campaign by one of our Chamber of Commerce members who basically accused us (me in particular) of making up the Anti-Degradation requirements in our state water quality standards (as if!). I'm still suffering from that one.

I will have to look into that. all the enviro stuff in this office seems to end up in my cube. :210:

I had 2 environmental classes which covered the history of environmental regulation in the US. Hell "Silent Spring" was actually on both the tests I believe. I actually saw Al Gore's movie (the global warming one) called this generations "Silent Spring" (it was a good movie but I think its too early to make a comparison).

When I stared at the Kentucky Deparment of Environmental Protection the first thing my supervisor did was give me an 8 hour review of the history of air quality regulations from the federal level all the way down to the local level. It was actually very interesting.

Latest posts

Back