Article of Interest today

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Pollutants Change 'He' Frogs into 'She' Frogs

When I was in school at the University of Florida, there was a similar situation with alligators in Lake Apopka (near Orlando). I went to a presentation by a herpetologist (reptile researcher) and found out due to historical agricultural practices in the area, a number of chemical compounds (DDT, Heptachlor, other pesticides) known to be endocrine disruptors also turned out to be testosterone interferrants. The population of alligators in the lake turned out to be disproportionately female with research pointing to increased levels of DDT (and more importantly the metabolic breakdown product DDE) in the blood serum.

The guest speaker made the presentation on the Earth Day observation that coincided with the 25th anniversary of the release of Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson. Rachel Carson was a biologist, zoologist that worked for the US Bureau of Fisheries that later became the US Bureau of Fish and Wildlife. Her efforts at bringing public awareness to the fate of pesticides in the natural environment spurred the US government to ban DDT because of it's harmful effects.

Even though birds were the subject of Carson's book, there are other organisms (animals) that are sensitive to exposure to chemicals. For instance, amphibians and reptiles are highly susceptible to such chemicals because of where they live (terrestrial/aquatic environs) which is also why there is some import behind the results of studies like the one in this news article. If I may use a metaphor, these critters are essentially the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to judging the health of our environment.

I am moved to write this not because I am a tree-hugging, whale kissin' fool because nothing could actually be further from the truth. I have often wondered how the current political climate would handle the issues of DDT production/application, cradle-to-grave legislation of hazardous waste (RCRA), emergency response/protection of 'imminent dangers (CERCLA), regulation/disposal of polychlorinated biphenyls - PCBs (TSCA), etc. In each of these cases there were inciting incidents that cast the light on the need for the government to step in and do something to protect the people.

Rachel Carson was a long-time employee of the federal government. She was publicly ridiculed by industries (Monsanto and American Cyanamid to name two) and her Department (Department of Agriculture) SUPPORTED those industries. The more cautious media of the time supported the chemical industries as well. Carson was branded a trouble-maker and as one of the prominent scietists for the American Cyanamid put it, "If man were to follow the teachings of Miss Carson, we would return to the Dark Ages, and the insects and diseases and vermin would once again inherit the earth."

When I post articles, like the one above, I am not suggesting the sky is falling and that all things bad have began to manifest against you. I am posting this article plus some of my thoughts because it is so easy for the simple result/conclusion of these studies to get 'lost' in the debate. I would only say keep an open mind about studies such as this one and keep it in context - do not try to grossly inflate or diminish the results. I am actually concerned about scientists and researchers like Carson being silenced (no pun intended) when it comes to providing data and evidence that lends support to conclusions. Again - I am not suggesting that one should inflate or deflate the results to fit their beliefs - only to accept those results within the context of the study.

I know many don't find this subject material as fascinating as I do - but I appreciate your indulgence for letting me post on a subject that it is important to me. I also hope that this reaches others at least to help frame some of your thoughts when you think about pollution and what practical, measured, sensible approaches that can be taken when it comes to the larger picture.

Again, thank you for the indulgence of this semi-rant.

JR

Pollutants Change 'He' Frogs into 'She' Frogs
When I was in school at the University of Florida, there was a similar situation with alligators in Lake Apopka (near Orlando). I went to a presentation by a herpetologist (reptile researcher) and found out due to historical agricultural practices in the area, a number of chemical compounds (DDT, Heptachlor, other pesticides) known to be endocrine disruptors also turned out to be testosterone interferrants. The population of alligators in the lake turned out to be disproportionately female with research pointing to increased levels of DDT (and more importantly the metabolic breakdown product DDE) in the blood serum.

The guest speaker made the presentation on the Earth Day observation that coincided with the 25th anniversary of the release of Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson. Rachel Carson was a biologist, zoologist that worked for the US Bureau of Fisheries that later became the US Bureau of Fish and Wildlife. Her efforts at bringing public awareness to the fate of pesticides in the natural environment spurred the US government to ban DDT because of it's harmful effects.

Even though birds were the subject of Carson's book, there are other organisms (animals) that are sensitive to exposure to chemicals. For instance, amphibians and reptiles are highly susceptible to such chemicals because of where they live (terrestrial/aquatic environs) which is also why there is some import behind the results of studies like the one in this news article. If I may use a metaphor, these critters are essentially the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to judging the health of our environment.

I am moved to write this not because I am a tree-hugging, whale kissin' fool because nothing could actually be further from the truth. I have often wondered how the current political climate would handle the issues of DDT production/application, cradle-to-grave legislation of hazardous waste (RCRA), emergency response/protection of 'imminent dangers (CERCLA), regulation/disposal of polychlorinated biphenyls - PCBs (TSCA), etc. In each of these cases there were inciting incidents that cast the light on the need for the government to step in and do something to protect the people.

Rachel Carson was a long-time employee of the federal government. She was publicly ridiculed by industries (Monsanto and American Cyanamid to name two) and her Department (Department of Agriculture) SUPPORTED those industries. The more cautious media of the time supported the chemical industries as well. Carson was branded a trouble-maker and as one of the prominent scietists for the American Cyanamid put it, "If man were to follow the teachings of Miss Carson, we would return to the Dark Ages, and the insects and diseases and vermin would once again inherit the earth."

When I post articles, like the one above, I am not suggesting the sky is falling and that all things bad have began to manifest against you. I am posting this article plus some of my thoughts because it is so easy for the simple result/conclusion of these studies to get 'lost' in the debate. I would only say keep an open mind about studies such as this one and keep it in context - do not try to grossly inflate or diminish the results. I am actually concerned about scientists and researchers like Carson being silenced (no pun intended) when it comes to providing data and evidence that lends support to conclusions. Again - I am not suggesting that one should inflate or deflate the results to fit their beliefs - only to accept those results within the context of the study.

I know many don't find this subject material as fascinating as I do - but I appreciate your indulgence for letting me post on a subject that it is important to me. I also hope that this reaches others at least to help frame some of your thoughts when you think about pollution and what practical, measured, sensible approaches that can be taken when it comes to the larger picture.

Again, thank you for the indulgence of this semi-rant.

JR
Interesting article. I've read this before.

It's easy to blame all of this on pesticides, which I agree bear significant responsibilty here. However, as far as I have heard. a huge source of this estrogen pollution are contraceptives and plain old female urine. So either women are going to have to hold it a long time. or they are going to have to modify wastewater plants to better deal with this.

Ive read that at the current rate of water pollution frogs will be completely extinct before too long. Which is really sad. Could you imagine growing up having never chased a frog? For some reason I find that to be a tragedy. Its just a frog but there is something about those green little things that tugs at my heart strings.

We had the guy who did the U.S. study come out an do a presentation for the 2005 Pacific Islands Environmental Conference in Guam. It was pretty good - he's obviously done that presentation many times.

The most interesting part of the whole thing was how tiny doses of these pesticides can cause problems that traditional toxicology misses. The gist of his presentation was to scare - you know, if this is what trace quantities of one particular pesticide is doing, imagine what else might be happening - not to frogs, but to humans - from all the tens of thousands of other toxins we use on a daily basis. I don't fall for fear mongering, but I find this thought pretty sobering.

Latest posts

Back