Signalized Intersections

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus808

Reaction score
when finding the effective green time,

g=G+Y-tl, where G=total green time, Y=yellow plus all red, and tl=total lost time=clearance lost time plus start up lost time.

I'm doing a problem where it has the following for lost clearance time, tl=yellow plus all red minus encroachment of vehicles into yellow and all red (2s default)

My question is do we always need to account for this 2s default? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
when finding the effective green time,g=G+Y-tl, where G=total green time, Y=yellow plus all red, and tl=total lost time=clearance lost time plus start up lost time.

I'm doing a problem where it has the following for lost clearance time, tl=yellow plus all red minus encroachment of vehicles into yellow and all red (2s default)

My question is do we always need to account for this 2s default? Thanks.
I know for sure that for pedestrian lost time is 4 sec. For drivers, I am not sure, but I found in HCM p.16-109 said use 2 sec for lost-time. I am not sure if its a default, but it safe to use, I gess.

This is often the assumed value. In practice, jurisdictions may make another assumption based on observed driver behavior in the area.

For the purpose of the exam, you will be provided this value. Total lost time used in the analysis is different for jurisdictions - 2 seconds is commonly used, but I have had to use 3 seconds for one particular agency (claiming that there are more elderly drivers). Hope this answers your question.

Back