Should I Lawyer-up

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrme

TreeRat+PBR=PE
Reaction score
To spark discussions on legal topics, and find out if someone should seek legal advise.

Here's mine:

Found out this weekend my name is on a 2011 SOQ (statement of qualifications) for a company I'd been with for 7yrs, which laid me off in 2010. Had to check for myself, and sure enough, my name and credentials are listed in resume style along with previous co-worker's. I've downloaded a copy and am wondering if I should seek legal advise. My name and credentials are being used to solicit projects, and my concern is whether this can effect my P.E. license or have a negative effect other than just pissing me off. They've had projects with high profile clients, which I was a part of during this time (listed in the SOQ), and have since hired a lot of new employees without equal credentials. Thoughts?

Your old company is certainly advertising services they can no-longer provide and could qualify as false advertising. Also, if they need your PE in order to do work in that particular state (you were the only one registered for that state), then they are violating state law. A company cannot advertise professional services they don't have the licenses to provide (at least here in CO).

Depending on your relationship with those who still work there, you might want to start with a phone call directly to them telling them that you are aware they are using your credentials to wrongly bid for work. If that doesn't work (or isn't an option), I would then go to your state board to file a complaint.

Depending on your relationship with those who still work there, you might want to start with a phone call directly to them telling them that you are aware they are using your credentials to wrongly bid for work. If that doesn't work (or isn't an option), I would then go to your state board to file a complaint.
X2.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to an attorney about your options. Some attorneys are willing to discuss options and do an initial review pro-bono. Again, only some do this that I know of, and may not be the case in your area.

The advice above from Dex is spot on as well concerning going to the state board. If nothing else, you are protecting yourself and your license by doing so.

Good luck with this mess.

...Also, if they need your PE in order to do work...A company cannot advertise professional services they don't have the licenses to provide.
They don't need my P.E.. While I was there I was still an EIT, which is listed under my credentials. Only after my separation did I become the P.E., and they're a 600+ employee company w/ their own internal P.E. who's the engineering lead.

I don't really talk to any of them, but am on good terms with my previous supervisor, who's on the upper ranks. The wife also mentioned to contact them first, but I secretly want to get'em with something.

This world/industry is too small to go after anyone without some kind of reprecussions. Its always smart to start with the civil approach. If they are including your old EIT credentials its entirely possible the corporate guys added you from the files without cross referencing your departure. Start with your old supervisor and go from there.

Call your old boss and let him know what happened and kindly ask him to remove your name and information from the bid. If that doesn't work, find a lawyer/para-legal shop and pay the $100 for them to write a letter, and include an invoice for your time and legal fees.

I'd contact your old boss, and ask for your name to be removed. If they don't, you might want to contact the board.

Thanks guys for the advice. I like the civil approach by the collective... (but am mechanical by education so I struggle) whooa, too soon for dumb jokes, haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet.

Will send the old boss an email and let yall know what goes down.

Thanks guys for the advice. I like the civil approach by the collective... (but am mechanical by education so I struggle) whooa, too soon for dumb jokes, haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet.

Will send the old boss an email and let yall know what goes down.
Any update?

Haven't gotten a response yet, nor has the SOQ been changed. Will keep you all informed.

Back