Semi trucks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
When I was a kid back in the seventies, most semi trucks seemed to be pulled cab over engine (COE) and conventional tractors in almost equal numbers. Now, I can't tell you the last time I saw a COE tractor. Was there some of economic/legislative/tech reason that the COE became extinct, or at least endangered, in America?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah

yeah yeah..

sounds like a smart guy to me..... yeah yeah yeah

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

I'd wager that fuel economy aerodynamics comes in to play, as COE has the aerodynamic profile of a brick. Even if it's 1/2 mile per gallon, when you drive a rig a million miles, it makes a difference.

Where did those two come from?

Also, I want to know how many trucks still use the pull rope for the horn.

My kids still motion to get the truckers to blow their horn by pulling the imaginary rope, but I notice some hit a damn horn on the wheel.

????

When I was a kid back in the seventies, most semi trucks seemed to be pulled cab over engine (COE) and conventional tractors in almost equal numbers. Now, I can't tell you the last time I saw a COE tractor. Was there some of economic/legislative/tech reason that the COE became extinct, or at least endangered, in America?

The law is what made them popular to begin with. Prior to 1956, the maximum length for a vehicle was 42 feet. The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 gave us interstates and 65 feet long trucks. Legislation in 1976 moved that to a max of 75 feet.

With less restrictions on length, you can see the obvious move to the current design (less engine heat in the cab, less noise, more "crumple" zones, aerodynamics, etc). That being said, the COE design is still popular in other countries where length is still restricted (notably Japan).

The law is what made them popular to begin with. Prior to 1956, the maximum length for a vehicle was 42 feet. The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 gave us interstates and 65 feet long trucks. Legislation in 1976 moved that to a max of 75 feet.

With less restrictions on length, you can see the obvious move to the current design (less engine heat in the cab, less noise, more "crumple" zones, aerodynamics, etc). That being said, the COE design is still popular in other countries where length is still restricted (notably Japan).
Makes sense. I guess that's the same reason dromedary units went away, although I only saw those up in New England.

This thread immediately made me think of Peterbuilt:

How's yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back