Seismic Design Hiner: Lindberg reference for relative rigidity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nojain

Reaction score
In Hiner's book, there is referance to Lindeburg, 8th Edition, Appendix D & E, to obtain relative rigidity of walls based on h/D ratio.

I am guessing that it is this book:

"Seismic Design of Building Structures" by Lindeburg

Does anybody have a copy of Appendix D and E from this book? Could you please forward a PDF, I guess it would be couple pages only.

I would really appreciate help. I do not want to buy this book now that there are only less than 3 weeks left for the exam

Thanks

and good luck!

nojain,

If you look at the example problem, the author refers to Lindeburg 9th Edition. You may want to get that CERM 9th Edition from any of your friend.

Thanks.

I do not want to buy this book now that there are only less than 3 weeks left for the exam
You should be wary of trying to get every book on the subject since it will be quite the confusing experience. Always keep in mind that for seismic you only have to get 50% of the questions or so to pass, so if you're doing all this work for one type of problem (which may not even show up), you may want to focus on the topics that you know will show up first.

If you're already done studying everything else completely and this has been a thorn in your side, then by all means continue. A thorough understanding of Hiner, the ASCE and certain chapters of the IBC (or CBC) should be more than enough info to pass the test imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be wary of trying to get every book on the subject since it will be quite the confusing experience. Always keep in mind that for seismic you only have to get 50% of the questions or so to pass, so if you're doing all this work for one type of problem (which may not even show up), you may want to focus on the topics that you know will show up first.
If you're already done studying everything else completely and this has been a thorn in your side, then by all means continue. A thorough understanding of Hiner, the ASCE and certain chapters of the IBC (or CBC) should be more than enough info to pass the test imho.
dastuff, one question:

Are the 345 seismic problems by Baradar similar to what we could see in the actual exam?, I notice Baradar's problems and Hiner's problems are not similar. Baradar's are somewhat more difficult.

What do you think?

Please let me know.

dastuff, one question:
Are the 345 seismic problems by Baradar similar to what we could see in the actual exam?, I notice Baradar's problems and Hiner's problems are not similar. Baradar's are somewhat more difficult.

What do you think?

Please let me know.
Hi lgarcia.

I never got Baradar's problems, but i do think that Hiner's were very similar to the exam type problems. That's not to say that a couple that were more difficult didn't show up. But overall I'd say Hiner's was of similar difficulty to the exam. Baradar (along with the 6 minute solutions) probably makes the problems more difficult than you're likely to find on the exam so you study more (along with freak out more).

If you study Hiner's with both the ASCE and IBC open and jump between the three as you progress through Hiners then I believe you'll be fine (other people have suggested also including books relating to inspections to help with seismic failure scenarios). You'll really want to get a good feel for all the different types of seismic systems (e.g. bldgs, non-bldgs, nonstructural, base isolated, diaphragms, etc.) because you can expect several questions to relate to each of those and they get very confusing. But each of those are clearly labeled in Hiner's manual.

Now if you study through Baradar's problems you'll probably by default be studying at a high enough difficulty to pass anything the CA-PELS board can throw your way. But it may be overkill, especially if you have other things you'd like to look at before D-day.

G'luck! :bananapowerslide:

Hi lgarcia.
I never got Baradar's problems, but i do think that Hiner's were very similar to the exam type problems. That's not to say that a couple that were more difficult didn't show up. But overall I'd say Hiner's was of similar difficulty to the exam. Baradar (along with the 6 minute solutions) probably makes the problems more difficult than you're likely to find on the exam so you study more (along with freak out more).

If you study Hiner's with both the ASCE and IBC open and jump between the three as you progress through Hiners then I believe you'll be fine (other people have suggested also including books relating to inspections to help with seismic failure scenarios). You'll really want to get a good feel for all the different types of seismic systems (e.g. bldgs, non-bldgs, nonstructural, base isolated, diaphragms, etc.) because you can expect several questions to relate to each of those and they get very confusing. But each of those are clearly labeled in Hiner's manual.

Now if you study through Baradar's problems you'll probably by default be studying at a high enough difficulty to pass anything the CA-PELS board can throw your way. But it may be overkill, especially if you have other things you'd like to look at before D-day.

G'luck! :bananapowerslide:
Thanks a lot dastuff!

Back