Seismic Books for Sale

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterengineer

Reaction score
So I got my Seismic Results and I passed...These books are for sale now

1- Seismic Design Review - Hiner - Fall 2011 - $80

Condition: BRAND NEW (I got this copy in his class but preferred to use a previously marked copy for my study)

2- 345 Solved Seismic Design Problems - Fifth Edition - $55

Condition: NEW

3-Seismic Principles Practice Exams- Third Edition - $50

4-Timber Design for Civil/Struc Exams - Sixth Edition - $40

Condition: NEW - (This is useful for the wood section odd ball questions)

5- Seismic Design of Building Structures - Eighth Edition - $25

shipping is extra - unless if you are in N CA then can possibly arrange a meeting

** Additional discount if you buy all five books

This is a much cheaper deal than buying from amazon or any other website

contact me at [email protected] if you are interested and best of luck in the exam

Wouldn't at least some of those books be a handy reference as you progress in your practice now that you are a licensed engineer? Or do you expect to use different references in real practice?

Wouldn't at least some of those books be a handy reference as you progress in your practice now that you are a licensed engineer? Or do you expect to use different references in real practice?
I have an extra copy of Hiner's book that I am keeping along with the IBC and ASCE standards...in addition to few school textbooks. So I don't think I'll need the above references especially that my line of work does not include heavy Structural Design. Also don't forget the frequent code updates which may make some of these books outdated in the future

I think a lot of the PE references are tailored toward providing good material to help you pass the PE and not so much toward professional designs... and frankly I would feel more comfortable looking up the IBC/CBC/ and ASCE standards for information than the PPI books :D

water, congrats on passing. But don't forget the forum rules: http://engineerboard...showtopic=16376

CAP, I'm with you, I kept all my PE references. I only sell something if I have doubles. But, honestly, PE study material rarely applies to "real life". I use them more for helping coworkers and friends who are studying for the exam. Especially Seismic.... I suspect very few Civil Engineers need to apply the principles tested on the exam, on any regular basis. And, like water said, even if we did, we'd turn to the IBC/CBC and the ASCE7, not the Hiner workbook, 345 Problems, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seismic is the one forum that I tend to be more lenient with in regards to materials, since it seems more specialized. I'm going to leave this one for now, especially since it prompted discussion.

waterengineer, I understand what you mean by the codes changing and specializing in certain aspects of the civil engineering profession. I was just curious as all the books that I used to prepare for the exam and during the exam, I still use to this day for reference. Thanks for responding to my curiousity.

I just passed the 16-hour SE Exam and I don't plan to sell any of them because it directly relates to my work. I think structural engineers have a different set of burdens than other civils. (Sigh)

I'm sure it's tough for a "water guy" to take a special seismic exam on something that doesn't relate to his practice. i.e.=> I sure hated working through environmental problems for the civil PE. I felt completely inadequate figuring BOM, etc.

waterengineer:

I think the Hiner book is the primary book to study for the seismic. Which of the other books do you feel helped you?

For me, studying the ASCE7 was actually the most beneficial. Seismic was actually the one subject area in which direct study and familiarization with the code book was the primary benefit to my study.

waterengineer:

I think the Hiner book is the primary book to study for the seismic. Which of the other books do you feel helped you?

For me, studying the ASCE7 was actually the most beneficial. Seismic was actually the one subject area in which direct study and familiarization with the code book was the primary benefit to my study.
I used Mansour's books and CD's along with Hiner as my study material. These studied in conjunction with the ASCE7 (a must have reference of which familiarity of is very beneficial) enabled me to pass seismic first time in April. I did purchase Lindeberg and did not use it at all.

waterengineer:

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone state that they studied the ASCE7. Not me. Aside from a few tables you need from the ASCE7, I don't think the ASCE7 (and the IBC/CBC) needs to be read/studied/memorized. I feel all you need is a good study guide (Dr. Ibrahim, Hiner, Mansour, etc.) which clearly covers the needed material from the codes. Again, you'll need the codes for a few look-up tables but that should be all. You should be familiar with the layout of the codes (at least the seismic topics) but you shouldn't have to study them. Actually, I take that back, it might be a good idea to read/study the special inspection chapter of the IBC/CBC. That and know the needed tables inside and out and that's all you should need from the codes. Spend your study time on your exam study guide.

Back