SE Pass Rates per Module

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
http://ncees.org/Exams/SE_exam.php

See the bottom of the page. Interesting how much the rates increased. I think it's because they have split the odds of passing per module instead of narrowing it from those that only took both modules.

http://ncees.org/Exams/SE_exam.php

See the bottom of the page. Interesting how much the rates increased. I think it's because they have split the odds of passing per module instead of narrowing it from those that only took both modules.
Yeah, that is different. I think before they were only counting the people that took both and passed both. So it's hard to say whether or not the rates went up - not apples to apples comparison to what they showed before.

How soon do you think examinees will receive exam results from their boards? I am in WA and I havn't received it.

How soon do you think examinees will receive exam results from their boards? I am in WA and I havn't received it.
One of the threads in another subforum said CA posted on their board that they're releasing them this coming Monday.

Just noticed that My NCEES account included a letter of my vertical component result, which is "Acceptable."

congrats Layman. Did you take the lateral? I'm assuming not since you didn't mention.

congrats Layman. Did you take the lateral? I'm assuming not since you didn't mention.
Thanks, McEngr and Amry69. I haven't taken the Lateral.

I didn't realize the exam results came out so quickly.

I just checked my NCEES account and still not available for NY. But I did notice a statement on the top of the page that was not there in my previous attempt stating "Once you obtain acceptable results on one component of the SE exam, you have 5 years to achieve acceptable results on the remaining component"

Is this a good sign from NCEES?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked my NCEES account and still not available for NY. But I did notice a statement on the top of the page that was not there in my previous attempt stating "Once you obtain acceptable results on one component of the SE exam, you have 5 years to achieve acceptable results on the remaining component"

Is this a good sign from NCEES?

Not necesarily. Sorry. Good luck though.

These numbers are more encouraging than when pass rates for both test were released.

For lateral, 51% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (35% + 65%*25%).

For vertical, 63% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (47% + 53%*30%).

These numbers are more encouraging than when pass rates for both test were released.

For lateral, 51% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (35% + 65%*25%).

For vertical, 63% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (47% + 53%*30%).
A little bit too optimistic:

It is more like:

Vertical 47% +0.5*53%*30% = 55%

Lateral 35% +0.5*65%*25% = 43%

Assume 100 "first time" candidates at both April and March and 47% passing rate for both April and October

April Session 100 "first time" candidates -> 47 acceptable + 53 unacceptable

October Session 100 "first time" candidates + 53 repeat candidates. ->47 acceptable + 53 x 0.3 = 63 acceptable

Total acceptable (April & October) = 47 + 63 = 110

Total candidates (April & October) = 200

Overall passing rate = 110 / 200 = 55%

This is probably on the upside, as it assumes that all failed candidates in April attempted the October exam. .

These numbers are more encouraging than when pass rates for both test were released. For lateral, 51% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (35% + 65%*25%). For vertical, 63% of original takers pass after (2) attempts (47% + 53%*30%).
A little bit too optimistic: It is more like: Vertical 47% +0.5*53%*30% = 55% Lateral 35% +0.5*65%*25% = 43% Assume 100 "first time" candidates at both April and March and 47% passing rate for both April and October April Session 100 "first time" candidates -> 47 acceptable + 53 unacceptable October Session 100 "first time" candidates + 53 repeat candidates. ->47 acceptable + 53 x 0.3 = 63 acceptable Total acceptable (April & October) = 47 + 63 = 110 Total candidates (April & October) = 200 Overall passing rate = 110 / 200 = 55% This is probably on the upside, as it assumes that all failed candidates in April attempted the October exam. .
I knew the numbers would be debated... I am only counting those who need to take it more than once. Of the 100 original takers (I actually said original in my first post) my numbers hold true. I'm saying if you need to retake the tests, you would have the chances that I posted of passing. The numbers are a little skewed as I am sure many realized they weren't ready to retake the test and therefore not all original failers retook the test in October.

Back