Sand Tunnel Collapses on Beachgoer, Killing Him

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Collapsing-Sand-Hole-Kills-Man-at-Half-Moon-Bay-Beach-268170202.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

A man was killed at a Bay Area beach on Monday after a giant hole he was digging in the sand collapsed and buried him, according to fire officials.
Officials say the man was standing in a 10-foot deep "tunnel" when the sand started caving in around him.
angle of repose for typical beach sand approx. 38 degrees, not a vertical wall. sad, unfortunate story.

This seems to happen, somewhere, every summer. It's very sad.

I thought this was the onion for a moment....

I've never been able to dig more than 3 feet at the beach without it either falling in or filling with water...

My son was doing this at Destin last week. Never got more than a couple feet in without it collapsing. He kept blaming it on his little brother, instead of his poor choice of building materials.

angle of repose for typical beach sand approx. 38 degrees, not a vertical wall. sad, unfortunate story.

But does that angle account for saturated conditions? Wet sand has a much higher angle because of the natural electromagnetism of water. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to build things like this:

Sandcastle.png

But does that angle account for saturated conditions? Wet sand has a much higher angle because of the natural electromagnetism of water. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to build things like this:

Sandcastle.png
negative. loose beach sand

You can't assume the sand 10' down is dry and loose, as we all know it's saturated within only a foot or two of the surface. That's not to say that exposing said sand to the atmosphere didn't dry it out to make it unstable though...

sad...

when i was a kid, I always wanted to build a tunnel on the beach. But I always ended up in the water snorkeling ..

My son was doing this at Destin last week. Never got more than a couple feet in without it collapsing. He kept blaming it on his little brother, instead of his poor choice of building materials.

Hey, I was just in Destin Last week.

Drove through Tennessee to get there and back, stayed in Knoxville on the way down, but drove all the way home on way back (over 19 hour trip, due to truck wreck in a tunnel a few miles in front of us)

^ but at that speed, is it possible? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back