Salary & Home Affordability by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This graphic shows some of our sticker shock when we moved from GA to CO - but I guess they use the statewide average?

I think If I moved back to ATL the houses have gone up just as much if you want to be in a decent suburb, only difference is you would get more SF for your buck than here.

Utah is a little suprising? I always heard SLC was a fairly affordable place to live if you can put up with the Mormons running the town..
i have fam in utah. my cousin says it's expensive, but her property taxes are 900...a year. 

And finally, I don't make the salary required for the average of the state, and live in the 2nd most expensive location. makes sense to me :)

Also filed under "its a small world"... there is a girl I worked with for about a year in Atlanta who moved to the Bay Area about a decade ago- she recently transferred to our Denver office. But she has been amused with how cheap things are in Denver. Said its unreal that you can even get lunch for less than $10 Bucks! Said like milk is around $7/ Gallon there?

Also filed under "its a small world"... there is a girl I worked with for about a year in Atlanta who moved to the Bay Area about a decade ago- she recently transferred to our Denver office. But she has been amused with how cheap things are in Denver. Said its unreal that you can even get lunch for less than $10 Bucks! Said like milk is around $7/ Gallon there?
I believe it. it's between 4 and 6 here.

I do think for two people making $117K in most metro areas is not really a lot of money anymore. One person making that is a slightly different story

I paid almost 300  :12:

Come to Michigan.  I sold my last house for under $40/sq foot, and bought the new one for under $100/sq foot (which includes 25 acres of land.)  Though if you don't include the finished walkout basement it's closer to $150/sq foot.

Come to Michigan.  I sold my last house for under $40/sq foot, and bought the new one for under $100/sq foot (which includes 25 acres of land.)  Though if you don't include the finished walkout basement it's closer to $150/sq foot.
But then she'd have to live in Michigan.

Back