S1 Exam level of difficulty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend who had dropped out of college try to talk me out of going to college after he had flunked out himself. In fact, I remember him trying to talk a number of people out of "wasting their time with college". After flunking out of college, he had decided he was going to make a bunch of money by selling computer software, rather than "waste his time on a bunch of crap that wasn't going to mean anything in the real world." He went so far as to show me some of his math on the investment in time and money versus expected reward for getting a college degree, his point being that college was a waste of time, money, and effort. Years later, the easy-money path he chose of selling software dried up, and I now earn several multiples of what he makes in his latest easy path career. You know, easy come means easy go. As it turns out, I sure am glad I decided to accept the challenge of college instead of run from it. There are definitely rewards for being persistent and accomplishing difficult things that other people rationalize are "not worth it anyway".
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer - Where did you go for your Masters? I went to UT Austin. I saw you are in Dallas, which is where I live, so I'm curious. I remember at our orientation Dr. Yura said that when we graduated we would essentially have a Masters in Structural Engineering. I see where you are coming from - I only did structures classes too. However, I chose to take the Civil PE based on passing percentage. I haven't ruled out the SE in the future though. Best of Luck with the SE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer - Where did you go for your Masters? I went to UT Austin. I saw you are in Dallas, which is where I live, so I'm curious. I remember at our orientation Dr. Yura said that when we graduated we would essentially have a Masters in Stuructural Engineering. I see where you are coming from - I only did structures classes too. However, I chose to take the Civil PE based on passing percentage. I haven't ruled out the SE in the future though. Best of Luck with the SE!
I went to Texas Tech. I did think about the CE and I've talked with some people who have done both, but since I have all the resources and study materials for the SE1, I'm doing that again. Like I said, I'd be starting from scratch on most of the subjects in the morning half.

Roy, you are still not getting my point. Whether I pass or fail now, you telling me I'm stupid to take the SE1 is irrelevant. I am signed up for it and I can't change my mind now. If you give this advice in three months, fine. I'm just saying to tell us we are stupid to take it now is not helpful. Everyone is different, has different backgrounds, etc. So to make a blanket statement that no one should take it is like saying

everyone should drop out of college because you failed out.

I went to Texas Tech. I did think about the CE and I've talked with some people who have done both, but since I have all the resources and study materials for the SE1, I'm doing that again. Like I said, I'd be starting from scratch on most of the subjects in the morning half.

Roy, you are still not getting my point. Whether I pass or fail now, you telling me I'm stupid to take the SE1 is irrelevant. I am signed up for it and I can't change my mind now. If you give this advice in three months, fine. I'm just saying to tell us we are stupid to take it now is not helpful. Everyone is different, has different backgrounds, etc. So to make a blanket statement that no one should take it is like saying

everyone should drop out of college because you failed out.
I would never suggest anyone here is stupid, far from it. But, as of 2 weeks ago you could still change your exam, but you are right, today is too late. my advice is for future generations LOL

Jennifer - I predict you will pass and look forward to hearing the good news :)

Jennifer - I predict you will pass and look forward to hearing the good news :)
Jennifer - I also predict you will pass, and I admire your determination for not giving up just because it's hard. Plus, when you do pass, you will have a credential that is more valuable than if you had chosen the easy route. :)

Back