RIP VTE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.14ers.com/flash/overviewtopos/overviewmaps.php?peak=Mt.+Evans

We did route #3.

The majority of the hike was wide open. The trail starts in the same parking lot as Bierstadt and the first half mile of trail is shared. After that, we didn't see more than 2 people until we got up to the saddle between Spalding and the sawtooth. From there, we merged with the West Ridge trail which was a little busier. A few more people joined in once we merged with the North Face trails. The summit was a mad house because of all the tourists who drove to the top and can walk the last couple hundred feet. Hard to get any good pictures without anyone in it which is why all of my pics are to the north or west. The parking lot was to the south and looked like we were at the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon, and not at 14,000 feet.

We originally wanted to cut across the sawtooth (class 3 trail) over to Bierstadt so Mrs Dex and a couple others in our group (6 of us drove up together) could claim that summit as well, but the weather got bad at just the right time to push everyone off the tipping point of doing a more challenging trail. Had we gone that way, we would have done Route #4 of this map in reverse:

http://www.14ers.com/flash/overviewtopos/overviewmaps.php?peak=Mt.+Bierstadt

So we doubled back the way we came and only saw 5 people along the trail with us. It was fortunate there was a couple following us as our driver lost his keys about a mile from the car and they just happened to find them.

Probably my favorite pic of the trip:

20140817_090918_zps4a871f6b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that! congrats!

Hey next summer I want to do Longs Peak, but I want to make a backpacking trip out of it (overnighter) I think we need to drag Cement out for that one weekend...

I've been doing some research on it and I think it will be fine as long as I didn't have to do it all in one day - 15 miles round trip with a scary ledge / drop to your death / is too much for this 40 year old to do in one day..

Longs Peak is definitely on the to-do list. It's also the hardest one I plan on doing (Class 3 trail) in the short term. I may develop my mountaineering skills a bit more and attempt some of the really nasty ones like Capitol Peak:

(it's 1000'+ vertical drop off either side).

200807_Capi10a_l.jpg

A little late but this really jumped out at me after being gone for so long...I remember VT being a nice guy on here, joking about which was the true "Tech", Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech. This is a shocking and terrible loss.

I was scanning eb, and looked over at the left sidebar. Today would have been VTE's 35 birthday. :sniff:

Latest posts

Back