Rigid Pavement Quiz: 5 Questions.... (who can answer all 5?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
I have been helping my friend/co-worker "train" in what we call "PE Boot Camp" for months and months now (Transpo Depth).

As part of training, you can imagine there are lots of homework, quizzes, and even practice tests. Well, just for fun, I thought I'd place today's quiz on the board.

Who can get all 5 correct first? I will provide a (virtual) prize to the first person to answer all 5 correctly.

While rigid pavement might apply to all depth modules (Exam outline AM item II A 2?), I had Transpo in mind when I wrote these (Exam outline PM item V G), thus this is in the Transpo subforum. But anyone is welcome to answer.

:)

[SIZE=medium]1) Why is proper curing of concrete important?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A.) Increased strength and durability[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]B.) Allows the concrete to set in less than 5 days[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]C.) Ensures that proper moisture dissipation occurs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D.) Compensates for variation in temperature[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2) For concrete, air-entrainment[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A.) is used to obtain the proper mixture of air-water-cement[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]B.) makes up approximately 15% of the volume of concrete[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]C.) ensures internal pressure is relieved in freezing temperatures[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D.) is used to increase the dry time of concrete[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3) A good concrete mixture includes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A.) a minimum cement content of 6 bags per cubic yard of concrete[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]B.) a maximum water content of 12 gallons per bag of cement[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]C.) a curing period of 18 days minimum[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D.) an air content of 24% in cold climates[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4) The most common tests for concrete are:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I. Slump[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]II. Air Content[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]III. Unit Weight[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]IV. Compressive Strength[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]V. Density[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A.) I, II, III[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]B.) I, II, IV[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]C.) I, II, III, IV[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D.) I, II, III, IV, V[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5) The most effective way to increase concrete strength is[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A.) Decrease the cure time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]B.) Decrease the water-cement ratio[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]C.) Increase the cure time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D.) Increase the water-cement ratio[/SIZE]

Darn it Pred! This thread was supposed to last a little longer. :p

Yes, you are correct. Good job. :)

If anyone is interested, I basically mined the information for the questions directly from PCA's cement.org. Link. Particularly the FAQs. Good stuff. I don't think I would have known all 5 if I hadn't read the information first.

Oh, and here is your (virtual) prize:

gift_wrapped_lamborghini_lp560_4_2-568-426.jpg

Yes, I always wanted one.

I'm running out of questions so feel free to post more. I need more questions. I appreciate them.

Oh, and snick - I'm pretty generous with parting gifts too. So, just for participating, here is your (virtual) gift:

big-screen-tv-300x214.jpg

The reason I posted the above 5 is because I wrote them. No copyright concerns. I don't have too many other problems that I wrote myself.

Okay, how about these 5? To give full credit, these come from the School of PE and are the weekly problems available for free from their website.

---------------------------------------------------

[SIZE=10pt]001[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The average number of tractor-trailer trucks passing a point is 1600 trucks per hour per lane (tphpl). The trucks travel at an average speed of 35 mph. If the average truck length (bumper to bumper) is 73.5 ft., the distance between the trucks is most nearly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] A) 119ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] B) 46ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] C) 42ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] D) 115ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]002[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]A trapezoidal open channel has a base width of six ft. and both sides are sloped at the ratio of one vertical to three horizontal. The depth of storm water flow in the channel is two ft. Determine the wetted perimeter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] A) 10.0 ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] B) 12.0 ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] C) 12.3 ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] D) 18.6 ft[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]003[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]One centrifugal pump driven by an electric motor requires a hydraulic horsepower of 2.5 hp. The pump and motor efficiencies are 68% and 84%, respectively. Electricity costs $0.08/kwh. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]How much does it cost to operate the pump and motor set for one week?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] A) $59 per week[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] B) $25 per week[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] C) $30 per week[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] D) $44 per week[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A design city will have a population of 3,200 people. Average daily demand is 150 gpcd. The daily peak factor is 1.5. Determine the maximum daily water demand of the design city including fire demand (gpm).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] A) 333[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] B) 500[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] C) 1791[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] D) 2291[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Find the number of zero-force members in the truss shown below; i.e., which truss members carry no force for the given load condition? (No calculations are needed)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] A) 3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] B) 5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] C) 6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] D) 8[/SIZE]

Ohhh your killing me.

I'm in relax mode til Friday. Now I might have ti take a shot at these tomorrow.

Yeah, I thought about subtracting the length.

I actually used the Goswami book with the quick formula on page 684

They say average spacing between points in successive vehicles is equal to 5280/density

Then they give an example and ask for the spacing between vehicles. However, as I type this, I realize his example does not have any lengths of vehicles given. What are the chances of having all vehicles of the same length? That must be why length is not mentioned. Ahhhhh, so trick question!!l. Lol

Just kidding. I might try the pump questions tomorrow. Thanks

Yeah, I thought about subtracting the length.

I actually used the Goswami book with the quick formula on page 684

They say average spacing between points in successive vehicles is equal to 5280/density

Then they give an example and ask for the spacing between vehicles. However, as I type this, I realize his example does not have any lengths of vehicles given. What are the chances of having all vehicles of the same length? That must be why length is not mentioned. Ahhhhh, so trick question!!l. Lol

Just kidding. I might try the pump questions tomorrow. Thanks

They don't all have the same length, they have an average length of 73.5'. ;)

So, what's your answer Pred? :)

I have now violated my policy. Time to pack.

C

D

C

B

C

I adjusted the water demmand by 1.5. I adjusted the kw by the motor effeciency, but did not use the pump effeciency.

You guys are correct with 1 and 2. 3 through 5 are not correct. Well, if I don't "talk" to you before the exam, Good Luck!

Back