Rich people or rich looking people

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there's a difference between being wealthy and being able to spend money.

From my experience, truly wealthy people have nice things but not over the top while those who strive to look rich are only concerned with the "Better than the Jones'" mentality and will spend until their unborn grandchildren will have to file for bankruptcy...

I see some rich or rich looking people out there. Do you guys think they are doing the right things - saving for their 401k, ira outside of work, savings account or are they just going paycheck to paycheck and in debt? Now I'm sure there are some rich people who are doing the right things, but everywhere I look there's a person driving the newest car-5.0, shelby, BMWs, MB, GTR, etc. Sometimes I go to the mall and see people wearing LV and AX shirts and I'm thinking "Dang, did he just drop $70 on that?" Oh well. I'm just wondering what you guys think.
I'd have to agree with what most have already said. That basically the "flashy" ones are probably very much in debt. My wife and I are both PEs so we live fairly comfortable. Before we purchased our home, we were debt-free. A lot of that was attributed to how we managed our finances based on a book written by Dave Ramsey. We don't carry over any credit card balances because we save for what we purchase. We also don't buy brand new off the lot cars. Which doesn't mean you can't have a nice car. I just purchased a used (but still fairly new) Infiniti G35. And we can also afford to buy name-brand items for various things. Not sure if that makes us "flashy" or "rich-looking" but its how we live. I don't consider ourselves rich especially with a nice mortgage now. But that is our only debt. We are also diligent about our 401k (err 201k now) retirement plans. I think if you manage your finances responsibly and make a decent living, you can afford to indulge every so often.

Major Highway said:
My honest opinion is that the ones you see like that are most likely in debt. Not all of them, but probably most of them. I have no data to back this up, it's simply an opinion based on the behavior that I see from people all around me.
:plusone:

I think there's a difference between being wealthy and being able to spend money.
From my experience, truly wealthy people have nice things but not over the top while those who strive to look rich are only concerned with the "Better than the Jones'" mentality and will spend until their unborn grandchildren will have to file for bankruptcy...
:plusone: :plusone:

I love my g35

I'm not even a PE (yet)

I couldn't imagine TWO PE's under one roof....2x fatty money

The 'Better than the Jones' mentality was really prevalent where I grew up. When I lived in VT, it was the 'At Least We're Not As Poor As Buford' mentality. The neighborhood I live now is pretty normal in that regard. Mostly white collar working class families.

We're not at all flashy, but we do like quality products. I'd rather spend the money now on something good, than buy something flimsy and still have to buy the better one later.

Friends and coworkers are somehow convinced we're loaded, because we go on lots of trips to various places. But it's mostly just that we save our discretionary income and use it to do something memorable. We don't go out to eat, don't go to movies, don't go to concerts, and other than the guilty pleasure of going to a Pats game every year, don't go to sporting events either.

You'd be surprised how quickly that adds up, and I'll remember the hike I took in the Smokies or the snorkeling trip in the Keys a lot longer than an order of pizza shooters at Chotchkie's on some random Tuesday night.

My parents met in a factory city that is on the working class end of a lake. So we still spend a lot of time there with family.

The other end of the lake is the ritzy, tourist part. Being up there all the time, it's easy to figure out which of the boats are rentals.

So it's funny watching the people on the rental yachts, doing all they can to make a big deal of themselves like they own it.

In our town its hard not being labeled as the rich looking folks just because of where our house is and the cars we drive...and we are by no means rich, just slightly better off than those in town but still WAY less rich than those mansions by the lake.

We do have some fancy brand clothes, but that is only because I bought them at the outlet store on days of mega discounts. The 60-70% off the lowest clearance price are the times we get the better stuff.

Judge_Smails.jpg

"Its easy to grin when your ship comes in

and you've got the stock market beat

but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile

when his shorts are too tight in the seat."

Judge_Smails.jpg

"Its easy to grin when your ship comes in

and you've got the stock market beat

but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile

when his shorts are too tight in the seat."

Yeah, the only thing worse than being Smails is pretending to be Smails.

Rest assured, it is a true facade that many people put on to think they are better than the Jones. Sadly, there is some insecurity involved-- in some cases, real insecurity.

My neighbor bought 3 new cars last year, F150, Tahoe, MKX, new $75K boat, $3500 for high school graduation pictures, second home in mountains, new golf clubs for wife ($1800 Pings--She cannot play golf), joined country club, $7500 initiation fee non refundable, $285/month fee, trips to Mexico/Hawaii, etc. I just laugh and wonder when he is going to tip over-- and I think that the time is coming sooner than he realizes. He has his own business, however, is stretched tight in the business.

Interestingly, I am NOT IMPRESSED with any of it!!!!!!!!!! We live in a beautiful neighborhood, however, you sure could not tell what of our stuff came from garage sales, second hand stores and estate sales. Interestingly, much more than you could imagine!!!!!!!!!!!

The main point here is folks that have to continue to keep up with the Jones have some real challenges. Their challenges are multifiplied if they have to show everything to everyone. The folks that I know that have real money, millions, you would never guess that was the case. Simple houses, simple cars, ordinary watches--- some even look that they are one step away from shopping at the mission.

Interestingly, I do shop at the mission for stuff. There can be some great buys there if you diligently search them out

Yes, I do buy good stuff and then make it last. It is cheaper to buy the best 1 time, then the cheapest and replace it 5 times. Surprisingly, many folks fail to see that basic concept

Although I never was a pizza delivery guy, I do know a neighborhood populated with McMansions that had lots of space and nothing in it. However, the individual was happy to say that they lived in McMansionville.

Save your resources, pay cash for what you need, pay off your credit card each month, cook at home-- you will end up with more money than you ever imagined.

I dont spend much money, but where I do splurge is on travel. I'd much rather spend 10-20k per year traveling and exploring the world and getting memories than going out to eat, paying a car note, or buying overpriced clothes.

I have a similar problem. I save it up for long periods of time, but then I just lose control once in a while and blow it all, until I have nothing left. Sometimes I am able to save up for another "splurge" ( you might say) pretty quickly, but these days, it takes me a lot longer to save up enough to have a real blow-out again.

Times sure have changed.

I dont spend much money, but where I do splurge is on travel. I'd much rather spend 10-20k per year traveling and exploring the world and getting memories than going out to eat, paying a car note, or buying overpriced clothes.

Same for me. The nice thing is that other than airfare and rental cars, my trips are usually pretty cheap as they involve camping and hiking in a national park. Already done 4 this year, with 2 more planned for this winter.

Same for me. The nice thing is that other than airfare and rental cars, my trips are usually pretty cheap as they involve camping and hiking in a national park. Already done 4 this year, with 2 more planned for this winter.
One of my new favorite destinations on a budget is Budapest. It was expensive getting there with airfare, but dirt cheap while there. Most restaurants were very affordable (like $20 for two people for real food), and even one of the nicest places in town was only about $60 for dinner, desert, and drinks. You could get a tram pass and travel everywhere in the city for a few bucks.

Back