Return Dates from Last October's exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you come up with 200 man hours for 500 examinee with 4 scans per minute?
total minutes=500*2/4=250 minutes

total hours = 250minutes /60 =4.2 hour.

where did the 200 hours come from?
500 per State!! Just a wag really, MI definitely had more than 500. That would be approximately 25,000 examinees. 100 reams of scantron sheets; if you think the test is mind-numbing, imagine what the people feeding those scanners go through; the boredom must be exhausting! And, there can be no errors in this entire process - you, and I too, would chew someone a new a$$hole if that happened. :angry:

I don't have any expectations for results before Christmas, but hope to have good news (ok, ANY news :eek: ) by the end of the month. Louis' data for 2005 applied to 2006 would make that probable for MI.

I think ELSES gets the results from NCEES grouped by state, with not all states being released at the same time to ELSES. If you're in a direct mail ELSES state, then your results are mailed directly to you in short order from ELSES (within a week generally from when they get them from NCEES).

Personally, I haven't been stressing as much this time around on the wait. Waiting for FE results from April of this year was tough because I was waiting to register for the next test (PE or repeating the FE). That was ONLY ;) 8 weeks for MI.

My feeling on the PE was that I did well in the AM, but marginal in the PM. So, it will be all about cut score for me (I know I didn't get an average 70% raw score). My seating pass from NCEES said results in 6 - 8 weeks; it will be 8 weeks Friday. I am mentally prepared to wait until the end of next week; after that, I'll start losing my mind :duhh:

So, hang in there everybody, best of luck to you all on your results, and have a great holiday. :thumbsup:

No way is there 25,000 people taking that test each time.

Is that what you meant?

I'd like to know how many there are. I'd guess 10,000-15,000 at the most. But, maybe I'm way off.

No way is there 25,000 people taking that test each time.
Is that what you meant? 

I'd like to know how many there are.  I'd guess 10,000-15,000 at the most.  But, maybe I'm way off.
Again, just a wag (a guess) based on my own state. I confirmed my own registration in Aug, and at that time approx. 400 PE/PS and over 700 FE/FS examinees were registered. :true:

Again, just a wag (a guess) based on my own state. I confirmed my own registration in Aug, and at that time approx. 400 PE/PS and over 700 FE/FS examinees were registered. :true:
I think I saw something recently from ASEE (American Society of Engineering Educators) that said we graduate something like 70,000 engineers every year. How many take the FE? Maybe half? So that's 35,000 per year. Probably more in the spring than the fall so maybe 20,000 in the spring and 15,000 in the fall?

The FE pass rate according to NCEES is aound 70%. So 35,000 * 0.70 = 24,500 passers. 4 years down the line how many take the PE? 2/3? That would mean 16,500 PE takers.

So 35,000 + 16,500 = 51,500 takers per year of FE and PE.

So 25,750 in the spring and the fall? Your numbers look about right.......

Last edited by a moderator:

I was thinking only PE. I said 10-15 thousand, so I was a little low at 16,500, but I'll buy that number.

It's alot when you look at it that way.

To be honest, if I were grading them, it'd be longer than 8-10 weeks, so we're all lucky. LOL. :true:

I think I saw something recently from ASEE (American Society of Engineering Educators) that said we graduate something like 70,000 engineers every year.
Are you serious MIG? That's a lot. I should be extra motivated today so I don't lose my job to an even younger hotshot. I probably won't however...

It's weird though, most of the engineers I've dealth with over the years have been in the latter half, if not back end of their careers. And I always hear there's a real lack of young engineering talent out there to take their positions as they retire.

I wonder how many of those 70,000 stay in the field throughout their careers.

Are you serious MIG? That's a lot. I should be extra motivated today so I don't lose my job to an even younger hotshot. I probably won't however...
That's not what you should worry about. You should worry that India graduates 350,000 engineers per year and China 600,000!

Now those numbers are a little mis-leading because they include some 2 and 3 year degrees, but apples to apples they are still graduating many more engineers per year than the US.

You should be more worried about outsourcing. Go google "engineering gap" and see lots of articles, etc. on this topic.....

Would it be possible to add a link to the state board's site here?

I can't take it in NC after three failures until Next Oct. and even then, I have to go through at least part of the application process again, so what I'm going to attempt to do is find another state that I can apply in, and take it there in April.

If it's doable....NC's is

www.ncbels.org

Back