Retaining Walls: Active or Passive?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgsmith2_PE

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of wording describes whether a retaining wall is active or passive? I know "free to rotate" maens active, but I 've seen a few problems that were passive and the wording was a bit confusing. From what I can tell, active is the most common, so hopefully most problems will be considered active. Btw, I'm taking construction in the pm, so I'm not an expert at this.

Thanks

Does anyone know what kind of wording describes whether a retaining wall is active or passive? I know "free to rotate" maens active, but I 've seen a few problems that were passive and the wording was a bit confusing. From what I can tell, active is the most common, so hopefully most problems will be considered active. Btw, I'm taking construction in the pm, so I'm not an expert at this.
Thanks
Could you please post the wording specifically? A simple way to look at it is that if the wall is being pushed then it is active and if the wall pushes the soil, it is passive.

Back