Resource for additional exam-type (power) questions??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the advice. On all your positive recommendations I just purchased 2 of the ComplexImaginary problem books. They sound great and I'm excited to get them. Note to ComplexImaginary/Josh- Shipping was a bit steep- wish there was a more affordable option (especially if ordering 1 book).
Ugh! Tell me about it with the shipping. We're getting killed on what we're being charged. Right now we take a $ hit on EVERY package we send, paying a portion of the shipping charge out of our pocket. I wish we could set the prices, but the shipping companies are are charging an arm and a leg. Times are tough I suppose - RIP USPS. Right now, we can't set rates so the best we can to is shoulder some of the cost, which we do. But, point taken. We're working on finding a lower-cost (yet still reliable) shipping method. Thanks for the input. Sorry for this cost, I wish there was a way around it.

Josh

FYI- I found the ANSI C84.1 standard online but they want $65 for the whole standard. Instead I found a good summary here: http://www.alleghenypower.com/PowerQuality/Standards.asp

Has anyone found a good place for NESC information? I don't have the book/manual and have never used it before for work.

EEVA- Wow, 10 seconds to find any equation is impressive. Do you mind sharing what sort of system you're using to keep track of all of your formulas and access them so fast?? I have 40 pages of handwritten notes but finding an individual formula will take a minute or two.

Josh- Didn't realize it was actually costing you money! I thought most retailers make money on s/h. Is regular parcel post or media mail aren't options? Is the issue the lack of tracking? I wonder if you could offer electronic copies? I bet many engineers would be willing to print them if they saved some bucks. You've probably thought of this before but thought I'd ask. It seems more efficient (for everyone) to at least start with electronic copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI- I found the ANSI C84.1 standard online but they want $65 for the whole standard. Instead I found a good summary here: http://www.alleghenypower.com/PowerQuality/Standards.asp
Has anyone found a good place for NESC information? I don't have the book/manual and have never used it before for work.

EEVA- Wow, 10 seconds to find any equation is impressive. Do you mind sharing what sort of system you're using to keep track of all of your formulas and access them so fast?? I have 40 pages of handwritten notes but finding an individual formula will take a minute or two.

Josh- Didn't realize it was actually costing you money! I thought most retailers make money on s/h. Is regular parcel post or media mail aren't options? Is the issue the lack of tracking? I wonder if you could offer electronic copies? I bet many engineers would be willing to print them if they saved some bucks. You've probably thought of this before but thought I'd ask. It seems more efficient (for everyone) to at least start with electronic copies.
1. I originally purchased the NESC 2007 Handbook because it was cheaper than the IEEE version. I found tables missing from the NESC handbook, so it is best to get the IEEE version.

2. I have a three ring binder broken up into different sections. As I take the practice exams, and I find myself searching a reference manual, I take the info (formula) that I needed and put it into my reference binder. So instead of searching my reference books I now have an accumulated 3 ring binder with everything I need. Now as I do the practice exams, I only use my binder and NEC. The only time I should be cracking open a reference book (except for my binder, or NEC) in the exam is for something I have not stumbled over while taking the practice exams. Make sure you break the binder down into enough sections, so you are not fumbling for a page during the exam.

QUOTE (ElecPwrPEOct11 @ Sep 24 2011, 10:38 AM)

Thanks all for the advice. On all your positive recommendations I just purchased 2 of the ComplexImaginary problem books. They sound great and I'm excited to get them. Note to ComplexImaginary/Josh- Shipping was a bit steep- wish there was a more affordable option (especially if ordering 1 book).

Ugh! Tell me about it with the shipping. We're getting killed on what we're being charged. Right now we take a $ hit on EVERY package we send, paying a portion of the shipping charge out of our pocket. I wish we could set the prices, but the shipping companies are are charging an arm and a leg. Times are tough I suppose - RIP USPS. Right now, we can't set rates so the best we can to is shoulder some of the cost, which we do. But, point taken. We're working on finding a lower-cost (yet still reliable) shipping method. Thanks for the input. Sorry for this cost, I wish there was a way around it.

Josh

Try 2-3 day Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes from USPS. They ship for the same price regardless of weight and if you use click and ship for online at usps.com you will get delivery confirmation free.

Back