Repairing Wood Rot

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momech

Reaction score
I'm prepping my house exterior to paint soon. Part of the process is replacing rotten brick molding and sill nose on my POS windows. That was going fine until I got to a window where not only is the nose rotten, but the sill itself is partially rotten. I can't find a prefab sill that fits. Has anyone tried this: http://www.rotdoctor.com/house/Houtdoor.html or a similar product? What are your thoughts? I really don't want to try to fabricate a new sill from scratch!

I have some wood rot around the frame of my back door. I plan on cutting out the affected pieces with my drimmel, and splicing in new pieces of wood with sand-able wood epoxy in between the spliced piece and the original. Then I can paint the whole door frame without the repair being noticeable. This isn't much different than how we spliced the chair rails in our kids rooms. My biggest problem is getting to the project with ball games and grad school.

The portion I am fixing is not structural.

Last edited by a moderator:
identifying-wood.jpg

You could do what the P.O. on the house I'm renovating did: tape it over with duct tape and paint over it.

But seriously... I faced the same problem and opted to replace the window frame and all (X4), once I saw the rot went beyond the sill. You can fabricate a replacement sill or rebuild with wood putty or something else, but I felt better replacing it. Now I know it's right.

Also, remember to investigate why the rot happened in the first place. Bad flashing above? Wet wood leads to rot, leads to termites, leads to structural damage.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do what the P.O. on the house I'm renovating did: tape it over with duct tape and paint over it.

But seriously... I faced the same problem and opted to replace the window frame and all (X4), once I saw the rot went beyond the sill. You can fabricate a replacement sill or rebuild with wood putty or something else, but I felt better replacing it. Now I know it's right.

Also, remember to investigate why the rot happened in the first place. Bad flashing above? Wet wood leads to rot, leads to termites, leads to structural damage.

Best of luck to you!
Mine is superficial caused by a Golden retriever scratching at the door frame.

Back