Registration for CA Seismic/Survey Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

june

Reaction score
hello everyone, I am trying to register for the CA Seismic/Surveying exams on ncees but not able to find the option any where. i only see the CA 8-hour PE civil available, which i passed. Is NCEES not administering this exam?? any thoughts

NCEES no longer administers these exams. For October 2012 and beyond they are administered by computer by Prometric. You'll need to submit a "refile" application with the board by July 30, 2012. The fees for the exams have also changed. It is now $125 application fee + $150 for each CA state exam (Seismic/survey) payable to the board. In addition, there is a fee of $58.80 per state exam that is payable directly to Prometric when registration opens. In other words, for both exams the total is now $542.60. Registration through Prometric is not open yet. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for the update. I totally did not keep track for the survey/seismic exam and the changes that happened in April 2012. The refile application is asking for CA Board ID, and NCEES ID. I do not have a CA Board ID, because we used to use NCEES ID before. What should I do? Will I be considered new file/or re file?

I registered for all 3 exams last time, but gave only the 8-hour.

Anyone else feel the way I do about this? It's complete BS! CA Board needs to have it together before there final filling date. I'm freaking PO'd! :madgo:

I guess I was a little on edge and jumped the gun. Are you the same ptatohed as on PPI's forum?

Here is why I was confused...thought they wanted more $$$.

OK! A rep from CA Board Called me back and explained that the instructions on the NCEES confirmation print out regarding submitting a new or re-file application are to be ignored for CA applicants. It is stated this way because in most other states have you register with NCEES first. CA is different as they have a much earlier deadline (May 1st) because of the shear quantity of applicants they get. So just this one time CA PE applicants get to take all three tests for the small fee of $275 (CA BOARD) + $265 (NCEES) + small administrative fee to Prometric that will be determined at a later date. Also I was informed that the two CA special examinations will not be given the day before or the day after the National 8 hour. There will be a range of dates to choose from (10-17 to 11-07) where Prometric will have a facilities set up for CBT examinations. Supposedly the next piece of information we will get from the board is instructions on how to register with Prometric for there remote CBT examinations. Interesting change in format to say the least. I'm on edge because I know how pick the state can be and how easy it is to get rejected for something small. Hope this helps anyone else that might have been confused by the NCEES print out like I was. Thank you Amy!

I guess I was a little on edge and jumped the gun. Are you the same ptatohed as on PPI's forum?

Here is why I was confused...thought they wanted more $$$.

OK! A rep from CA Board Called me back and explained that the instructions on the NCEES confirmation print out regarding submitting a new or re-file application are to be ignored for CA applicants. It is stated this way because in most other states have you register with NCEES first. CA is different as they have a much earlier deadline (May 1st) because of the shear quantity of applicants they get. So just this one time CA PE applicants get to take all three tests for the small fee of $275 (CA BOARD) + $265 (NCEES) + small administrative fee to Prometric that will be determined at a later date. Also I was informed that the two CA special examinations will not be given the day before or the day after the National 8 hour. There will be a range of dates to choose from (10-17 to 11-07) where Prometric will have a facilities set up for CBT examinations. Supposedly the next piece of information we will get from the board is instructions on how to register with Prometric for there remote CBT examinations. Interesting change in format to say the least. I'm on edge because I know how pick the state can be and how easy it is to get rejected for something small. Hope this helps anyone else that might have been confused by the NCEES print out like I was. Thank you Amy!
Yes, I am the same ptatohed. I'd be quite upset if someone else took my screen name on another PE exam forum. ;)

Elastic, I'm not so sure you have it right.

I'm not sure what you mean by "just this one time" and not sure what you mean by "small fee". ? Also, there is no $275 fee. The fee to Prometric is known and is $58.80 (x 2) for each state exam. There is also a $125 application fee and a $150 (x2) fee for the state exams.

That's good info to know about the date range of the CBT exams, thanks.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/exam_fee_matrix.shtml

Good luck!

Oh snap just noticed you're in Murrieta that's right down the FWY from me. Well to be honest I'm not sure I got it right either.

The fees your explaining I believe will apply to any applicants that are re-applying (as final filling date is July 30) and for all applicants on new test dates from here on out. I think they changed the rules on May 4th which was 3 days after the new application deadline.

I just got a letter from the state earlier this week explaining that they are going to waive this fee structure, one time, for new 2012 October applicants, as it would not be fair to change the fee amount after the applications have already been submitted.

Oh snap just noticed you're in Murrieta that's right down the FWY from me. Well to be honest I'm not sure I got it right either.

The fees your explaining I believe will apply to any applicants that are re-applying (as final filling date is July 30) and for all applicants on new test dates from here on out. I think they changed the rules on May 4th which was 3 days after the new application deadline.

I just got a letter from the state earlier this week explaining that they are going to waive this fee structure, one time, for new 2012 October applicants, as it would not be fair to change the fee amount after the applications have already been submitted.
I see. That would be nice if they waived the increase for those who got their applications in before date XX. Again, good luck!

Back