Reference material

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soobs

Reaction score
I am slated to take the FE and plan on taking EE afternoon in NJ this April.

Is the provided reference book printed double sided or single sided?

Also, is General afternoon exam easier than the EE for an EE major 5 years after graduation?

I see lots of mechanical material in the general which I'm not a fan of.

Also, if you have resources for EE practice problems please post them.

I have found this site to be pretty helpful http://inside.mines.edu/~knelson/EIT_INFO.html

Thanks for all your help.

The FE is a test of general knowledge. There is nothing "easy" about any section, it all depends on what you "think" you know. If you have prepared (and that generally means spending significantly more time "practicing" (or studying) than the 8 hours invested in the test then you will do well. I was out of school over 30 years before taking the test. I looked at the electrical and general sections before deciding on the general (probably took about five minutes to flip through the sections). I went with the general and luckily passed. Don't make it any "harder" than it really is.

The FE is a test of general knowledge. There is nothing "easy" about any section, it all depends on what you "think" you know. If you have prepared (and that generally means spending significantly more time "practicing" (or studying) than the 8 hours invested in the test then you will do well. I was out of school over 30 years before taking the test. I looked at the electrical and general sections before deciding on the general (probably took about five minutes to flip through the sections). I went with the general and luckily passed. Don't make it any "harder" than it really is.
Agreed. It's all about preparation and studying than what you think you might know on the fly. I took the civil test in the afternoon and left the exam totally exhausted since you only have 2 minutes to answer each question in the morning and 4 minutes in the afternoon.

As for the reference book, I had an older version so it took some time to find some of the same equations during the exam. But it's all about preparation in advance of the exam. There will be some questions that will stump you, but don't spend more than 2 or 4 minutes on the question. Know when to move on because you'll have a better chance answering more questions correctly and minimize any guessing.

Good luck!

I completely agree. I was five years out of school and took this same approach (took the general in the afternoon). Be comfortable with the supplied reference manual and you'll be money.

Back