Reference Material needed for the Water Resources/Environmental Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WR/ENV,

Do you really think Metcalf & Eddy is needed/useful for the WR/ENV exam? I'm on the fence about it, mostly due to it's cost.

Also, how much help will an Introduction to Env Eng book be? I have mine from college (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Environmental-Engineering-Science-2nd/dp/0131553844/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401456097&sr=1-1&keywords=0131553844 ) and it's pretty basic. Would you recommend Davis & Cornwell's instead?

Thanks.

Yes Metcalf & Eddy is useful b/c in exams past, many questions have come right from it (sometimes with the numbers changed.) Why not simply borrow it from your local library if too expensive?

If you have an environmental book from college that you are already comfortable with, by all means stick with that one. Some have no Env. college class experience so Introduction to Environmental Engineering is a good starter.

WR/ENV,

Do you really think Metcalf & Eddy is needed/useful for the WR/ENV exam? I'm on the fence about it, mostly due to it's cost.

Also, how much help will an Introduction to Env Eng book be? I have mine from college (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Environmental-Engineering-Science-2nd/dp/0131553844/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401456097&sr=1-1&keywords=0131553844 ) and it's pretty basic. Would you recommend Davis & Cornwell's instead?

Thanks.

Yes Metcalf & Eddy is useful b/c in exams past, many questions have come right from it (sometimes with the numbers changed.) Why not simply borrow it from your local library if too expensive?

If you have an environmental book from college that you are already comfortable with, by all means stick with that one. Some have no Env. college class experience so Introduction to Environmental Engineering is a good starter.
Thanks.

I would recommend the following resources:

-CERM

-Metcalf & Eddy textbooks

-Review course notes (typically a binder is provided since looseleaf paper is not permitted)

-Dictionary to solve qualitative questions

-NAVFAC Soils Manuals

-Hydraulics textbook

Make sure you have references to environmental law and regulations, and know how to use the Moody diagram, the Darcy-Weisbach equation, and the Hazen-Williams equation.

Review groundwater theory, hydraulic conductivity, water demand, and hazardous waste.

Take as many practice exams as you can so you are comfortable solving 40 problems within the 4 hour time limit.

Also, be comfortable with SI units and note that some answer choices might not even have units.

Took and passed the WR/E in April, first time. I took the following:

1. Testmasters notes (split into two notebooks, morning stuff and afternoon).

2. 2000, 2008, and 2011 NCEES practice tests.

3. CERM

The items that helped me the most were the practice tests and the testmasters notes (appropriately tabbed and with problems solved). Most helpful was working problems that I was familar with, the second most useful was the tables/summaries that were in the testmasters notes (except for the structural notes, because that section of the testmasters was, in my opinion....poor).

The reference I used most was the testmasters notes - they probably covered an easy 90% of what was on the April exam. The CERM was most useful as an index for questions I had no idea about or didn't recognize the terminology for.

Like what everyone above seems to be saying, if you take a review course and work the problems they give, it's likely you'll do well.

Back