Reference Material and Pencil Marks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteiner

Reaction score
I've seen posts that say reference material taken into the exam can't have pencil marks, but I can't find anything that actually says this. Is it perhaps a state-by-state issue?

I've also had this question. My coworkers told me this but all have said they have not seen this is writing anywhere.

This is what I found about reference materials:

Reference materials
The PE exam is an open-book exam. You are allowed to bring reference materials to the exam, provided they are bound and remain bound during the exam. Loose paper may be bound with ring binders, brads, plastic snap binders, spiral-bound notebooks, and screw posts—but not with staples. Sticky notes and flags are permitted only when they remain attached to book pages.

I am in CA, does anyone have further information on this topic? I would hate to spend half a day photo copying notes if I don't have to.

bump. pencil question is really important. i've got marks all over my notes and it would destroy me if they didn't let me in because of that. someone please answer!

^ What state are you taking the exam in? The best way to get the most accurate information is to contact your state board.

That being said, all notes must be bound. Pencil notes are not necessarily prohibited, but it tends to raise eyebrows since you are, well, taking the exam with a pencil. How are they supposed to know you didn't write info about the exam in your notes? Some proctors are picky, others could care less. But to eliminate any doubt completely, it's best to just not have any pencil marks altogether. And as engineers, we tend to make most of our margin notes in pencil, I understand that. So depending on the amount you have, why not just photocopy your notes and put in a 3-ring binder? Could be an option. HTH.

I just got a response from the administrator of the test in Maryland, who said that the "no pencil mark" rule used to be the case, up through the last exam this past October. But that rule now no longer applies.

Back