Reference Manual & FERM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKazma

Reaction score
I'm two weeks into my studying with FERM. I will be taking the general afternoon exam. The topics I have studied so far are Math (half of the section), Economics, Statics and currently on Mechanics of Materials. I noticed in the mechanics of materials section of the FERM, there are several formulas needed to quickly solve stress and strain problems yet are not given in the reference manual. I assume that we need to have these memorized? Sure you can find maximum shear stress, angle between max shear and principle planes through Mohr's circle, but that would take over 2 minutes to do...even to draw out.

So my general question is, if the formula is not in the ref. manual, should we even worry about the type of questions that these formulas are needed? Also, to those who took the FE exam in the past, did you encounter any pulley questions? The FERM has a whole section on it but it is not listed as a sub topic in statics. Pulleys in general are simple, but when incorporated with a complex system, they can be quite daunting.

Back