Record Drawings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Something of an ignorant question on my part ..

In your experience, who determines the details going into record drawings and how many such drawings are included in the final (as-built) package?

I was just curious, because I have seen this done in a number of different ways, so I looking for others' experience/perspective.

Also, can somebody really stamp an as-built as 'Poor Original' ?? :dunno:

JR

Something of an ignorant question on my part ..
In your experience, who determines the details going into record drawings and how many such drawings are included in the final (as-built) package?

I was just curious, because I have seen this done in a number of different ways, so I looking for others' experience/perspective.

Also, can somebody really stamp an as-built as 'Poor Original' ?? :dunno:

JR
I just cloud any changes made and throw an "AS-BUILT" stamp with date on each sheet. If no changes are made, then I still stamp them AS-BUILT and file them away. We use vellum/mylars and file them away to never be seen again.

check your contract,

depending on client

I have had to do certain changes to contract documents in diff. colors

ie.

RFI change from contractor- green

change order-blue

RFI change govt. red

This is how my company basically does it: we continually update a set of drawings to include revisions, change orders, etc. that take place throughout the construction process. At the end of construction the contractor will send us a set of drawings that they redline with changes they've made. We put those changes onto our CAD drawings, slap a disclaimer on the titleblock, and send them off to the owner (no seal, no sig).

We have it addressed in our Quality manual. Each site has the equivalent to a superintendent covering as builts and controlling their documentation and revisions status.

Our RFI's will result in a change order being issued typically, so everything is red.

Final package is assembled in sections pertinent to particular areas: Electrical, UG piping, etc.

This is how my company basically does it: we continually update a set of drawings to include revisions, change orders, etc. that take place throughout the construction process. At the end of construction the contractor will send us a set of drawings that they redline with changes they've made. We put those changes onto our CAD drawings, slap a disclaimer on the titleblock, and send them off to the owner (no seal, no sig).
I thought we were the only one's that do it this way. However, it makes life so much easier when you put into the contract that the Contractor needs to provide As-Built drawings. We do more site work so its not that difficult.

Back