Reactive Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday...It is a very simple way to understand the relationships between KW, KVA, and KVAR

Super. I’m ready to find out what power factor is. To understand power factor, we’ll first start with the definition of some basic terms:

KW is Working Power (also called Actual Power or Active Power or Real Power).

It is the power that actually powers the equipment and performs useful work.

KVAR is Reactive Power.

It is the power that magnetic equipment (transformer, motor and relay) needs to produce the magnetizing flux. KVA is Apparent Power. It is the “vectorial summation” of KVAR and KW.

Let’s look at a simple analogy in order to better understand these terms…. Let’s say you are at the ballpark and it is a really hot day. You order up a mug of your favorite brewsky. The thirst-quenching portion of your beer is represented by KW (Figure 1). Unfortunately, life isn’t perfect. Along with your ale comes a little bit of foam. (And let’s face it…that foam just doesn’t quench your thirst.) This foam is represented by KVAR.

The total contents of your mug, KVA, is this summation of KW (the beer) and KVAR (the foam).

power-factor-the-basics-questions.png

^That is the exact analogy that was used by my instructor to explain reactive power...........23 years ago.

I'm just going to say that if I had to take Circuits II, there is no way I could have become an engineer.

^That is the exact analogy that was used by my instructor to explain reactive power...........23 years ago.
Yeah ,I had that too, long , long time ago , my teacher for Circuits II use the same analogy for explain the Reactive Power .

Jonjo

Back