RCRA, CERCLA Regulations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenthumb

Reaction score
I see that the recommended list of references to take into the exam includes several sets of regulations like RCRA, CERCLA, NPDES. Usually I use the EPA online search tools to find what I need within these regulations.

Do I need a complete text of these regulations to take into the exam?

If so, is there an online TEXT available anywhere? I've only been able to find searchable online databases.

Any help is appreciated...starting to panic!

Well, you generally don't need the regulations themselves, but you should have some sort of summary reference for ALL the environmental laws and regulations, including the clean air act, safe drinking water act, in addition to those you mention. The free EPA "Orientation Manuals" for each of those is usually good enough, as is a general textbook such as the Environmental Law Handbook, or the overviews of those acts contained in LaGrega's Hazardous Waste Management (for RCRA, at least), for example.

But that said, I ran into about two questions on the test that I would have been able to answer, if I had brought along that specific set of federal regs. But you really can never know which you might need, and they're so huge, that I believe it is impossible to really be prepared for "every" possible regulation question. Just study up on the overall way each regulation works, what it's main requirements are, and definitely make sure you have a reference (or references) on sampling requirements for the various media (sampling equipment, methods, etc) and regulations (how often samples are required, certification requirements, etc.). Hope that helped.

Well, you generally don't need the regulations themselves, but you should have some sort of summary reference for ALL the environmental laws and regulations, including the clean air act, safe drinking water act, in addition to those you mention. The free EPA "Orientation Manuals" for each of those is usually good enough, as is a general textbook such as the Environmental Law Handbook, or the overviews of those acts contained in LaGrega's Hazardous Waste Management (for RCRA, at least), for example.
But that said, I ran into about two questions on the test that I would have been able to answer, if I had brought along that specific set of federal regs. But you really can never know which you might need, and they're so huge, that I believe it is impossible to really be prepared for "every" possible regulation question. Just study up on the overall way each regulation works, what it's main requirements are, and definitely make sure you have a reference (or references) on sampling requirements for the various media (sampling equipment, methods, etc) and regulations (how often samples are required, certification requirements, etc.). Hope that helped.

Thanks, at least I've got some direction now. Really appreciate it.

Here's what I did, and I passed.

Everytime you see a CFR reference in your studies, download that section. It's all public info online from the US Government, verbatim, so you know you're getting the real deal. I forget the website at this point but it's easy to find.

The Environmental Law Handbook is also priceless for that stuff. Though at this point I wouldn't recommend getting it as it's too late.

Important regs are: CERCLA/Superfund, RCRA, CWA, CAA, OSHA, TSCA. And I even saw a practice problem about FIFRA if I recall.

I have a hangover right now, and it's been a while since I took the test. So take it for what it's worth.

But that said, I ran into about two questions on the test that I would have been able to answer, if I had brought along that specific set of federal regs. But you really can never know which you might need, and they're so huge, that I believe it is impossible to really be prepared for "every" possible regulation question.
I agree... it is impossible to be 100% prepared for "every" possible regulation question. I remember some bizarre-o questions about requirements that would have required an ASTM manual for me to check, but apparently they throw a few of those random ones in the exam every year.

I brought the Lagrega book and RCRA/CERCLA orientation manuals. I used those for a few questions but there were some questions for which I just did not have the right reference - and I was just wishing I had an internet search engine in front of me!

Back