Quiz #14

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John QPE

Straight Outta Compton
Reaction score
A sag vertical curve descends at -1.5% and meets an ascending grade of 3.0% at station 15+00 with elevation 111.45.

The length of the vertical curve is 1400 ft.

BVC Station = 8+00; Elevation = 121.95

EVC Station = 22+00; Elevation = 132.45

A 100-year storm event floods the roadway to elevation 125.00

The length of roadway (feet) that lies below the 100-year storm elevation is most nearly:

A) 1,219

B) 1,256

C) 1,312

D 1,416

So, for clarity, the 111.45 is the elevation at the PVI, not a point on the curve?
If one - tangent grade meets another + tangent grade, as stated, that's the PVI by definition. I like how the question is worded. It makes you stop and think for a second without making it obvious. :D

So, for clarity, the 111.45 is the elevation at the PVI, not a point on the curve?
If one - tangent grade meets another + tangent grade, as stated, that's the PVI by definition. I like how the question is worded. It makes you stop and think for a second without making it obvious. :D

I think the way it is worded is the 111.45 is on the curve. But I know PE problems always give PVI sta/el and not the el on the curve at the PVI, so I asked. I think the term PVI should be used in the problem statement if that's what the elevation is referring to.

This was exactly what I was thinking .... but I wasn't really concerned with PVI here ....

I know there are a few guys taking transpo in April that have been following along, so I'll let this one sit for a few days, I'll email you my solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the way it is worded is the 111.45 is on the curve. But I know PE problems always give PVI sta/el and not the el on the curve at the PVI, so I asked. I think the term PVI should be used in the problem statement if that's what the elevation is referring to.
Considering how you like to sometimes write tricky questions, I figured you'd appreciate how it was worded. ;) As it stands, I feel that it's worded adequately and PVI was the obvious intention, IMO. But I do see where you're coming from.

This was exactly what I was thinking .... but I wasn't really concerned with PVI here ....

I know there are a few guys taking transpo in April that have been following along, so I'll let this one sit for a few days, I'll email you my solution.

I know you weren't concerned with the PVI, that's why I asked. If it were a point on the curve, that'd change everything. ;) Thanks, got it. :)

Considering how you like to sometimes write tricky questions, I figured you'd appreciate how it was worded. ;) As it stands, I feel that it's worded adequately and PVI was the obvious intention, IMO. But I do see where you're coming from.

LOL. We're getting off topic but.... If it said g1 and g2 meet at sta x and elev y, then I would agree. But it starts off with "A sag vertical curve descends.... " . A sag vc is a real entity. A PVI is an imaginary point. If it says "A sag vertical curve .... with elevation 111.45" I am going to assume it is on the actual physical curve, not an imaginary point, unless specifically told otherwise. :p

John,

Glad that you brought it up. I had to think about it for a little while.

I got the same answer as Ptatohed, it is C

Honestly, it took me more than 6 mins :suicide1:

But now that you know how to do it, and set it up, its not going to take more than that, right?? I was lost on this at first.

Put this one in your binder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, difenatley this one is going to be in my afternoon binder.

I know you weren't concerned with the PVI, that's why I asked. If it were a point on the curve, that'd change everything. ;) Thanks, got it. :)

LOL. We're getting off topic but.... If it said g1 and g2 meet at sta x and elev y, then I would agree. But it starts off with "A sag vertical curve descends.... " . A sag vc is a real entity. A PVI is an imaginary point. If it says "A sag vertical curve .... with elevation 111.45" I am going to assume it is on the actual physical curve, not an imaginary point, unless specifically told otherwise. :p
To me, the key word is the verb/action word "meets".. Besides, the part "at station 15+00 with elevation 111.45" immediately follows "meets an ascending grade"...What else could 'meet' there except the PVI. :p

Those who have answered have been contacted.

Does anyone else want to give this a shot? I can help you out if you need.

To me, the key word is the verb/action word "meets".. Besides, the part "at station 15+00 with elevation 111.45" immediately follows "meets an ascending grade"...What else could 'meet' there except the PVI. :p

LOL. It is clear that the station 'meets' there.... but not the elevation. LOL. :p

Finally I'm able to use the forum!. Exited!.. I tried this problem and I can't get passed the point where I find the station at which the flow line touches the curve (X=11.05 stat, from BBC. Or 19+05. Now what do I do?

Well if you have the 11+09 stations you are 99% of the way there.

Draw this out ....

Now on your back tangent, figure out what station elevation 125.00 hits [(125 - 111.45) / 0.015] = 903.33 .... so you know elevation 125.00 hits 903.33 feet up the tangent. 1500-903.33 = 596.67 (STA 5+96.67)

the difference in station between the back and forward tangents is the amount underwater.

You have 203.33 feet along the tangent, and 1109 feet along the curve so: 1312.33 feet underwater

My solution below

https://www.mediafire.com/?spvrjoymfmmtq3w

Back