Question on CA reference

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBruin

Reaction score
I took the CA PE and I worked in NY, most of the projects I did was in other states like PA, NJ, or even in Europe.

The Reference instruction says the following:

"For work in California, references must be California Civil Engineers. For work out of state/country, references must be licensed in that state/country."

Now for the reference, should I look for people with NY PE license or should I look for people who have license in the states where the project is actually located (e.g. PA/NJ?)

Also on a related note, a lot of the PE in my company don't own a stamp or a seal, can they just sign the form and the envelop for it to be a valid reference?

I took the CA PE and I worked in NY, most of the projects I did was in other states like PA, NJ, or even in Europe.

The Reference instruction says the following:

"For work in California, references must be California Civil Engineers. For work out of state/country, references must be licensed in that state/country."

Now for the reference, should I look for people with NY PE license or should I look for people who have license in the states where the project is actually located (e.g. PA/NJ?)

Also on a related note, a lot of the PE in my company don't own a stamp or a seal, can they just sign the form and the envelop for it to be a valid reference?
The reference need not be where the project was located. They just should have worked with you to verify your work experience and need to be licensed in the state they practice. 

Not sure if only signature will work. That might be a question for the board. But one of my references did specially get a seal for my reference. 

In CA, a seal can be electronic (specified in law and in the board rules), you can make one in AutoCAD and print it on the form and over the envelope if you have to.

Back