Question on Accident Data Analysis...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petobe

Reaction score
When analyzing accident data - are you supposed to include accidents that result in fatalities as personal injuries as well?

The reason I ask is - in the Transportation 6 minute solutions book (problem #90 - the hint even says "injury accidents include personal injury and fatality accidents") They do include them... However, I can't find anything in my texts that says to do this, and further - in the Lindeburg Civil PE Sample Exam (problem 188) - they do NOT include them in the calculation.

Which method is correct? Thanks-

When analyzing accident data - are you supposed to include accidents that result in fatalities as personal injuries as well?
The reason I ask is - in the Transportation 6 minute solutions book (problem #90 - the hint even says "injury accidents include personal injury and fatality accidents") They do include them... However, I can't find anything in my texts that says to do this, and further - in the Lindeburg Civil PE Sample Exam (problem 188) - they do NOT include them in the calculation.

Which method is correct? Thanks-
Since the question asks for the accident rate for injury accidents you use all accidents minus the PDO (property damage only) accidents. (i.e.,fatalities and personal injury only).

Since the question asks for the accident rate for injury accidents you use all accidents minus the PDO (property damage only) accidents. (i.e.,fatalities and personal injury only).
that doesn't explain why the Lindeburgh problem does NOT include them....? They both ask for accident rates of injury accidents - one includes fatalities to get the answer, one doesn't.

From the references I have - Injuries and fatalities are completely different severity levels... I can't find anything that says to include fatalities when calculating injury accident rates, other than the 6 minute solutions book.... which leads me to think it is wrong.

Does anyone have a reference that proves otherwise?

that doesn't explain why the Lindeburgh problem does NOT include them....? They both ask for accident rates of injury accidents - one includes fatalities to get the answer, one doesn't.
From the references I have - Injuries and fatalities are completely different severity levels... I can't find anything that says to include fatalities when calculating injury accident rates, other than the 6 minute solutions book.... which leads me to think it is wrong.

Does anyone have a reference that proves otherwise?

I know what you are talking about - I would go ahead and stick with Lindeburg's equations and example - usually, they separate injuries and fatalities consistent with his equation

I know what you are talking about - I would go ahead and stick with Lindeburg's equations and example - usually, they separate injuries and fatalities consistent with his equation
The instructor in PE Exam preparation class told us that both injury and fatal crash frequencies should be included while calculating injury crash rate.

as far as i can tell, if it asks for total accident rate, use all, if it asks for injury, use fatal+injury, if it asks for fatal, use fatal

as far as i can tell, if it asks for total accident rate, use all, if it asks for injury, use fatal+injury, if it asks for fatal, use fatal
you said in another thread that you had the Lindeburg PE Sample Exam, Edition 2 right? If so - look at number 188. It asks for injury accidents and does NOT include fatal... and like i said - i cant find anywhere in any of 3 traffic engineering text books or any of my other references (besides the 6 minute solution book) where it says to include fatal when calculating injury accident rate.

you said in another thread that you had the Lindeburg PE Sample Exam, Edition 2 right? If so - look at number 188. It asks for injury accidents and does NOT include fatal... and like i said - i cant find anywhere in any of 3 traffic engineering text books or any of my other references (besides the 6 minute solution book) where it says to include fatal when calculating injury accident rate.

yeah i saw that when i did the problem (i got it "wrong"). i think they're wrong though...as far as i know injuries include fatals.

Back