Question about working problems from Solved problem books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keatingiv

Reaction score
Got a quick question for the experst here : )

Ive been working some of the environmental problems out of the 101 Environmetnal solved problems manual. The manual seem to follow the ENVRM pretty well. I mean, I have found most of the formulas needed to solve the questions but no all. My questions is, when you guys were working the problems in the solved problems books were you using all of your reference books or just the ENVRM? Is there a consencious? I know that Metcalf and Eddy seems pretty good for the wastewater. The ENVRM seems to condensed and confusing to me.

I guess what i am also getting at is, is that it seems that all of the problem books are biased and desinged around utilization of the ENVRM. I am assuming that the real exam is going to be quite different. Seems a little strange? I am sure it is just me.

I didn't rely that heavily on the ENVRM. It was a great reference for charts, figures, data, etc. but I relied more on my college texts for the help solving problems. ENVRM was helpful at least a primer for some areas I had no background or books for, like noise pollution and indstrial hygiene.

Yeah, thats what I am thinking too. To use it as a secondary reference. I am finding that it is way too easy to solve these problems utilizing the ENVRM because the problems are designed by the same company and kind of follow along with the chapters too; I am also afraid that this is artificial comfort. Especially when it comes to solving different problems on the actual exam not put out by this company. I think that the ENVRM maybe kinda usless but I guess they have a strangle hold on the PE market

I know this has been mentioned in other posts, but if you haven't gotten it already, you should get the NCEES sample problems and solutions. This book is most representative of the actual exam problems.

As VT said, the ENVRM is a good "basic" reference that has a lot of the most commonly used equations. I'd say I used it maybe 25% to 30% of the exam, for the problems that were pretty basic or that I didn't have any other references. In my opinion, everything else on the exam was so "out there" that ENVRM was worthless, IMHO.

I know this has been mentioned in other posts, but if you haven't gotten it already, you should get the NCEES sample problems and solutions. This book is most representative of the actual exam problems.
As VT said, the ENVRM is a good "basic" reference that has a lot of the most commonly used equations. I'd say I used it maybe 25% to 30% of the exam, for the problems that were pretty basic or that I didn't have any other references. In my opinion, everything else on the exam was so "out there" that ENVRM was worthless, IMHO.
Yeah, I have both sets (1999, 2004) i bought out of the yard sale section of the site. I took a look at some of them. They actually look a little more reasonable than the ones that I have been working on, namely the 101 solved problems. I was just curious about the ENVRM. I just felt that the reference manual was more just a plug and chug formula book (which is not very well set up) to accompany the solved problems manuals. While studying, I wasnt really getting anything out of it. I was esentailly filling out formulas not learning the proper application of the formula, I really didnt have to search for anything and I think that efficency is a major part of this exam as well as organizational skills. I just wanted some feedback on how usefull it was since there is so much emphasis put on utalizing PPIs products to prep for this exam. Thier really is not too much else out there except for a few DVD seminars.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 101 Solved problems is a good practice book because it forces you to put down the ENVRM and begin looking for other references. Some of the 101 book required me to look up fire codes and international ISO stuff, which otherwise I would never had been exposed to. You may not ever see a question on any of that stuff, but you very well may, and in the course of collecting your references, you will also end up with some stuff that will definitely be useful on the test. The exam WILL throw stuff at you that you simply cannot find in the ENVRM and probably have no personal work experience with, so it really pays to develop a comprehensive set of references.

The "advice" thread contains a lot of good suggestions for additional references, and there was another thread recently that suggested a site remediation reference that sounds real good. Personally, my favorite reference is "Environmental Engineering" by Salvato, et al. It's expensive but I was able to answer several exam questions with it, and it has become a real go-to reference at work, especially for the old-fashioned "sanitary engineering" type stuff that comes up every once in a while - real public health type stuff.

(VTE we really ought to make a sticky thread with all the collected reference suggestions in one place)

Thanks Dleg! I am going to check out that book. I really appreciate the information you guys have provided me. This forum is a real great resource that I am glad that i found.

The 101 Solved problems is a good practice book because it forces you to put down the ENVRM and begin looking for other references. Some of the 101 book required me to look up fire codes and international ISO stuff, which otherwise I would never had been exposed to. You may not ever see a question on any of that stuff, but you very well may, and in the course of collecting your references, you will also end up with some stuff that will definitely be useful on the test. The exam WILL throw stuff at you that you simply cannot find in the ENVRM and probably have no personal work experience with, so it really pays to develop a comprehensive set of references.
The "advice" thread contains a lot of good suggestions for additional references, and there was another thread recently that suggested a site remediation reference that sounds real good. Personally, my favorite reference is "Environmental Engineering" by Salvato, et al. It's expensive but I was able to answer several exam questions with it, and it has become a real go-to reference at work, especially for the old-fashioned "sanitary engineering" type stuff that comes up every once in a while - real public health type stuff.

(VTE we really ought to make a sticky thread with all the collected reference suggestions in one place)
I just took and passed the April 2010 exam so I'll comment now since I think the advice will be relevant to October test takers... I looked for a 101 Solved Problems book, but it seems to be out of print. There were used copies available, but I procrastinated and the prices shot up as the exam date approached. I used Scheiter's "Environmental Engineering Solved Problems" book that is part of the PPI package. While using this book I used all the references I planned to take to the exam. I think this is the only way to know where the information can be located when it's not in the EERM. With regard to Salvato.... get the old single volume one used for less money. I have access to the three volume set and found it to be obnoxious.

^That Schnetier book is the same as the 101 problems book. The title changed between the 1st and second editions, I guess.

That's good to hear about the Salvato book. I've wondered if the new three-volume edition was worth getting, but I juist can't afford it, so I will stay satisfied with the older edition.

Back