Question about the diagnostic example

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just gave the explanation of " the simple fact that a 50% in one case results in a bar to the right, and in another, results in a bar to the left".
Which, of course, is not a question, and your explanation isn't even necessarily correct.  Give it a rest.

You really can't calculate it though. Because NCEES reserves the right to adjust the passing score based on whatever they want. They can throw questions out if they want. They can decide too many people are getting a section right, and make the cut score higher. The diagnostic is also comparing you to other people taking the exam. If you're taking the same exam as a bunch of unprepared people the cut score will change. And I'm also not convinced that the cut score is the same for every version of the exam, even within the same breadth/depth.

If, however, you're still convinced that calculating this is possible and reasonable, try the calc once with the bars representing percentages and once with the bars representing ratios, and see what you get. Your calculation will be equally helpful either way.

You really can't calculate it though. Because NCEES reserves the right to adjust the passing score based on whatever they want. They can throw questions out if they want. They can decide too many people are getting a section right, and make the cut score higher. The diagnostic is also comparing you to other people taking the exam. If you're taking the same exam as a bunch of unprepared people the cut score will change. And I'm also not convinced that the cut score is the same for every version of the exam, even within the same breadth/depth.

If, however, you're still convinced that calculating this is possible and reasonable, try the calc once with the bars representing percentages and once with the bars representing ratios, and see what you get. Your calculation will be equally helpful either way.
I agree, and I  am just curious and want to do a calculation, and I do not think it will have any effect on my study.

Best case scenario you determine what cut score was in the exam you took and failed. It has no bearing on any subsequent exams.

On second thought I think you don't really care and are just looking for some kind of intellectual pursuit. But, why involve the rest of us in this sadistic nightmare?

Best case scenario you determine what cut score was in the exam you took and failed. It has no bearing on any subsequent exams.

On second thought I think you don't really care and are just looking for some kind of intellectual pursuit. But, why involve the rest of us in this sadistic nightmare?
Haha,

I am just curious about it, and I am sorry for involving you in this nightmare. I did not do it in purpose.

PE magazine had a pretty good article about how the exams are developed. It also had a section about exam myths that cover a lot of your ideas.

http://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test

Back