Quadratic Equation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just do it on paper and don't bother to program it? :dunno:

Honestly, if you need to program in a linear interpolation program or solving for the roots of the quadratic equation into your calculator then you might need to take a step back and think. Who is taking this exam, your calculator or you? Both of these items are quite easy and formulas are in various textbooks or even on the internet.

I'm sorry, I don't want to tear anyone down or be an ass but I see far too many engineers relient on technology these days.

Just my :2cents:

I'm with kevo. Its kinda like programming area of a circle in. If you think you'll be that crunched for time, you have other problems.

If you think you'll panic and forget it, just write it down somewhere. Its probably in your (x)ERM annyway.

I know I often suffer from "all-thumbs" syndrome when punching out equations like solving for the roots of a quadratic. It's nice to have a wham-bam number cruncher to watch out for the details. Of course it may be easier to bring a hard copy reference than it is to learn how to operate the calculator functions.

PE2BII - the internet is an amazing place. I have no idea how good these programs are but it seems to be what you're looking for.

HP 33S programs

one thought-

This is the PE exam we're talking about here, not real life. If you get a quadratic equation that is so complex you need a calculator to figure out the roots, then maybe you made a mistake somewhere else. Not for certain, but it's something to be aware of.

one thought- This is the PE exam we're talking about here, not real life. If you get a quadratic equation that is so complex you need a calculator to figure out the roots, then maybe you made a mistake somewhere else. Not for certain, but it's something to be aware of.
I agree.

Throw your HP33S at the person in front of you and when he turns around see what he has for roots..

Program solved!

I learned the formula to the tune of "pop goes the weasel" never have been able to forget that damn thing.

Back