PTOE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
narnio, i saw that you posted that ITE/TPCB said they'd get results out before christmas; and then your post was edited.

is that the timeframe that was given? i have sent emails asking when results would be sent out, but have not been given a response. hopefully it's more like two weeks (now) like another poster had indicated.

I e-mailed TPCB and they indicated that the results would be mailed within the next month. So it appears that we will be waiting longer than we had hoped for.

narnio, i saw that you posted that ITE/TPCB said they'd get results out before christmas; and then your post was edited.
is that the timeframe that was given? i have sent emails asking when results would be sent out, but have not been given a response. hopefully it's more like two weeks (now) like another poster had indicated.

I took the exam on Oct 30th. I have a couple of questions for you guys. Did you have to use that erase board thing or did they give you paper for calcs? They gave me a white board and it was terrible, had to erase all the time, could not save calcs to go back to questions and the stupid pen kept drying off every two minutes and not writing!

Oh and get this, I was left alone in the exam room, and I hear curse words and yelling and banging outside. I get scared and I am thinking someone went postal out there. What if they come in and attack me (curse and banging was really bad). I am a girl and I was scared. this went on for 5 or 10 min and I am alone terrified in the room. In comes the proctor and says... the guy outside has turrets syndrome and there is nothing we can do about it so here are earplugs. Great - what about the 10 min I spent terrified????? Needless to say I didn't do well and don't expect to pass (also am a new mom and didn't get more that 3 hours of sleep the night before!).

On to the questions... what did you guys think? I asked my boss who has 30+ years as a T.E. and PTOE some of the questions and he had no clue (without being able to reference), he is one of the smartest engineers I know. I also think some of the questions were not very clear and confusing. Especially when you only have 2 min. Other than that, seems like you have to memorize a lot of things that you would normally would check before using, such as how many seconds of flashing lights... Maybe it is just me but I think that someone who had no clue would not pass this even if open book, so why not let us reference materials we use every day?

just my 2 cents. I don't think I passed :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the same experience as you with respect to the dry erase board. i had an 8.5"x11" white board and a thick tipped dry erase marker (so thick that I had to write larger than i normally would, using up more of the tiny board). i didn't even have a dry erase marker, so i had to use saliva to erase. i also went through about 5 markers, because they kept running out of ink.

the questions were difficult and a good number of them I found to be more "trivia" than knowledge. i don't think there is any way to study for some of those questions. i am not sure if i passed and am not sure if would ever take the test again.

good luck to you!

I took the exam on Oct 30th. I have a couple of questions for you guys. Did you have to use that erase board thing or did they give you paper for calcs? They gave me a white board and it was terrible, had to erase all the time, could not save calcs to go back to questions and the stupid pen kept drying off every two minutes and not writing!
Oh and get this, I was left alone in the exam room, and I hear curse words and yelling and banging outside. I get scared and I am thinking someone went postal out there. What if they come in and attack me (curse and banging was really bad). I am a girl and I was scared. this went on for 5 or 10 min and I am alone terrified in the room. In comes the proctor and says... the guy outside has turrets syndrome and there is nothing we can do about it so here are earplugs. Great - what about the 10 min I spent terrified????? Needless to say I didn't do well and don't expect to pass (also am a new mom and didn't get more that 3 hours of sleep the night before!).

On to the questions... what did you guys think? I asked my boss who has 30+ years as a T.E. and PTOE some of the questions and he had no clue (without being able to reference), he is one of the smartest engineers I know. I also think some of the questions were not very clear and confusing. Especially when you only have 2 min. Other than that, seems like you have to memorize a lot of things that you would normally would check before using, such as how many seconds of flashing lights... Maybe it is just me but I think that someone who had no clue would not pass this even if open book, so why not let us reference materials we use every day?

just my 2 cents. I don't think I passed :(

Yes, I recieved an email from Ms. O'Neil at ITE and she said results would be out before Christmas.

I had the white erase boards, but could not erase. I had to ask for new boards and it was a pain in my neck. I have a whole new respect for those that are PTOE. That test was rediculously difficult. I don't know of anyway that one could study for it. Questions were all over the place and the PTOE Study Guide was a joke! I was not prepared for the depth of questions and variety of transportation related questions. I really doubt I passed...oh well. :brickwall:

those dry erase boards were pretty bad. on the second half of the test, the proctor finally gave me pencil and paper because she was tired of erasing the boards and the mess it made every time i went back to her.

i'm not sure how i did on the test but i believe i answered a good number correctly. whether that number is enough, we'll see. i have a california TE and didn't think the test was as bad as the TE. Then again, the TE was open book. FWIW, i didn't study at all for the PTOE. i was hoping my practical experience would pull me through. knock on wood, we'll find out.

i also was told by ms. o'neill that results would be out by the next month. bummer. at least it's not the five months or whatever wait time it was for the Civil and Traffic tests.

good luck everyone.

Anybody knows the approximately passing score, or say percentage of right answer? Happy thanksgiving!

Does any one has an update on the results of the October 2009 exam?

Judging from recent prior postings, it appears that a few of us (including myself) e-mailed or spoke to the TPCB and the response received seemed to indicate that the results would be mailed in mid-December.

I will post on the board when I receive the letter.

I just received my result in the mail (at work, even though I had my home address as the preferred address) and I passed!

Good luck out there to you all

Judging from recent prior postings, it appears that a few of us (including myself) e-mailed or spoke to the TPCB and the response received seemed to indicate that the results would be mailed in mid-December.
I will post on the board when I receive the letter.

I have not noticed any new names added to the TPCB directory, has anyone else also received the results? I haven't received mine as yet. Thx for any replies.

i also received the results by mail on 12/4. i passed but my name does not yet show up on the tpcb lookup.

fyi, 62 of 77 passed for the October 2009 test cycle.

I received my results at work today too. Thankfully, I passed too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I PASSED TOO!!! I can't believe it!

:multiplespotting:

PS my name is not on the website yet either.

Back