Psych Chart "Placemat"?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkbug

Reaction score
Im just gathering materials for the exam, and I wanted to bring one of the large laminated "placemat" type Psych Charts. Is this something thats typically allowed, or is it considered a loose item since its not bound in a book?

Im just gathering materials for the exam, and I wanted to bring one of the large laminated "placemat" type Psych Charts. Is this something thats typically allowed, or is it considered a loose item since its not bound in a book?
I used mine, but that's not to say that you won't have trouble at your testing locale.

As an emergency, I also scanned the pysch chart and had it placed in my "notes" book. I took all my loose notes and equations to kinko's to be photocopied and bound. You could print on a 11X17, fold in half, and bind it with other stuff.

Also, as a dire emergency, I had the charts in my thermobook as well.

Thanks for the input.

I didnt see anything about it on the VA board webpage, so Ill give it a shot. I have a few other copies here and there, and Ill make sure to make copies in a binder somewhere.

A few things to consider:

1) NCEES doesn't allow loose paper. Everything must be bound

2) NCEES doesn't allow you to write on your own material during the test.

So what I suggest binding a couple folded charts into your binder and practice getting info from the chart without marking it. Also, there will most likely be the standard ASHREA chart in the test. So get used to it if you want to write on a chart.

The psych charts they give you in the exam booklet are more than sufficient for the HVAC depth. No need to bring your own.

The psych charts they give you in the exam booklet are more than sufficient for the HVAC depth. No need to bring your own.
There were pysch charts in the booklet?

I don't remember that. Of course, I really don't remember much about that day. Not because it was long ago (Oct. 2007), but because I pretty much crashed afterwards and totally blanked. I couldn't have discussed a particular question if I tried.

I do remember using my Psych. chart which was a 11x17 I have folded in a three ring binder.

Where do you get the placemat charts? Are their placemat moody charts as well?

I am not sure if I would try to use one though without clearing it with the board first as they do say no loose material. I was paranoid about this when I opened by tabbed Lindeburg book and found two or three tab inserts missing which were on the floor. This was after using it for months without one falling out (tape them in).

I guess general opinion is that I wont need to bring it, which is good! I just like that its large, color, and makes it easier to find things quickly when you need to.

I got mine from our local Trane rep when he came in to do a lunch and learn about cooling towers and chillers. I just e-mailed him ahead of time about it.

If you dont have a local Rep, Trane does sell them direct on their webpage for something like 15 bucks each.

I guess general opinion is that I wont need to bring it, which is good! I just like that its large, color, and makes it easier to find things quickly when you need to.
I got mine from our local Trane rep when he came in to do a lunch and learn about cooling towers and chillers. I just e-mailed him ahead of time about it.

If you dont have a local Rep, Trane does sell them direct on their webpage for something like 15 bucks each.

Don't forget the high temp chart. There will probably be one question that you'll need that chart. Most placemat types don't have that.

Back