Protecting the PE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm looking at practical ways for PE's to get PDH's.  Going back to school for some credits isn't practical for me.  Neither is trying to get an article published.  
No, but certain universities offer alternatives to taking full courses. And often times they offer some of them as freebies. There are plenty of practical ways to get PDHs without resorting to pointless webinars.

The only PDH's I've found are useful relate to some form of certification. In the US, I was a TCS (Traffic Control Supervisor) which required a certain amount of on the job hours plus a 2-day course. It's required if you supervise traffic control crews (especially flaggers) in Colorado. The on-the-job hours teach you how to actually do the setouts, but the in-class training teaches you the "why's".

I just completed the NZ equivalent series of courses and scored 40hrs of PDH's towards my Chartered Engineer (CPEng) application. In my case, they don't care about a specific amount of hours but rather that I demonstrate around 2 years of "progressive NZ-specific" engineering experience so I can transfer my PE here.

I think masters degrees are great! Most everyone that works for me has one :D
cold.jpg

With as diluted as the waters are for MBA's and as bad as many of these MBA's run things, unless it's from a "top 10" University along with a solid work history, it's essentially worthless.

For a few hundred $'s, anyone can buy one.

Any degree or license only gives you an opportunity, it doesn't automatically grant you fatty money, of course it did for me though ;)

Now Dex remember that I only like one sugar in my coffee from now on

It might be cold when it finally arrives in the mail though. And I wouldn't trust the creamer...

Nah, I wouldn't have fatty money if I had to pay for shipping back to the US...

You don't have fatty money because you over complicating this. Just subcontract the work out to someone local. Just make sure you cover liquidated damages. Pun not intended.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for volunteering. RG likes his coffee on his desk by 7:30am and at precisely 165 degrees in his favorite Hello Kitty mug with sippy top.

Contract terms to follow. Work begins ASAP.

^Licensing boards going after stupid **** like that (and the other story included int he article about the politician who worked for Ford and Boeing) will eventually get licensing overturned.  There needs to be some common sense applied.  The guy was just presenting arguments.  He didn't actually program any traffic lights.   

^Licensing boards going after stupid **** like that (and the other story included int he article about the politician who worked for Ford and Boeing) will eventually get licensing overturned.  There needs to be some common sense applied.  The guy was just presenting arguments.  He didn't actually program any traffic lights.   
The article says he emailed the Oregon Board and called himself "an excellent engineer" (he has an engineering degree from Sweden). How does the board justify the legal fees in defending this case to its members? It was a $500 fine, the guy lawyered up, and now it's going to cost thousands in an attempt to enforce the fine. Not a great business plan or marketing strategy.

Back