Products/Brands that stand the test of time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Balance shoes - pretty much all I buy anymore. I've had a pair or two of 83's since like 03.

Columbia jackets and outdoor clothing/gear - Not as much expensive as North Face or Marmot or those swanky brands but good durable quality.

Honda cars - They run forever and don't need a whole lot of maintenance

GLOCK

Lifestyles - have not failed me yet... that I am aware of

Last edited by a moderator:
Bic mechanical pencils
New Balance running shoes (they're the only brand I'll buy)

Land's End clothing

Nathan's Hot Dogs

Craftsman Tools

Gillette Razors, take it from a guy that shaves a lot, Schick should just give up.

Nike Basketball Shoes, I am still up in the air about the billion other products by Nike, but their Bball shoes are top notch.

Coleman Stoves, I have a camp stove my parents gave me, it is probably 30 years old, and I bought a new lantern last year and it is still well made, ............probably well made in China, but oh well.

Leatherman Tools, I have a PST II that is 6 years old, I carry it at work all the time and it still looks almost brand new.

Coors Light

Last edited by a moderator:
On a related note, what are some products that have become the standard name of similar products, or have become ingrained into the English language?

For example, Kleenex, Band-Aid, Xerox... I still say "tissue" and "photocopy", but I also say, "hey i need a kleenex" or "can you xerox this for me?" I rarely say "bandage".

I realize the Coke/soda/pop slang is a regional thing, but I think that's a valid example too.

These products will "stand the test of time" too, by living on in our vernacular.

On a related note, what are some products that have become the standard name of similar products, or have become ingrained into the English language?
For example, Kleenex, Band-Aid, Xerox... I still say "tissue" and "photocopy", but I also say, "hey i need a kleenex" or "can you xerox this for me?" I rarely say "bandage".

I realize the Coke/soda/pop slang is a regional thing, but I think that's a valid example too.

These products will "stand the test of time" too, by living on in our vernacular.
Google is quickly becoming synonymous with searching the internet.

Google is quickly becoming synonymous with searching the internet.
Agreed.... And did you know if you Google "Google", you can break the internet?

(Props to anyone who knows what TV show that's from.)

A couple brand names that regularly come up around my office: Dumpster and Vactor

A couple brand names that regularly come up around my office: Dumpster and Vactor
I didn't even know "dumpster" was originally a brand name, until now. (that's my "Learn something new every day!" for today)

I've never heard of Vactor.

I've never heard of Vactor.
Vactor is a brand name for a vacuum truck. It has a big tank on the back like a water truck but it's used for vacuuming sewage, soil, drilling mud, etc.

If a sewer lift station needs to be taken out of service for a short amount of time, it is sometimes cost-effective to use Vactors instead of setting up a bypass system.

And if you absolutely have to dig immediately (no time to wait for utility locating) you can use a Vactor to remove soil without fear of breaking underground lines. :construction:

tru dat. My dad is has had the same weber grill (gas) for at least 15 yrs, they have only had to replace the flavor bars because they rusted out from all the use. Everything else is still working just fine.
Yup, our Weber gas grill was manufactured in 1992. My parents gave it to us three years ago. The push-button ignition stopped working about 5 years ago and we've replaced the flavorizer bars, but that grill is still going strong 17 years after my parents bought it. I suspect it'd keep going for several more years if we wanted it to (it's being retired this winter; my parents are giving us a new grill for Christmas). Weber makes one hell of a good product.

It's unfortunate that a new Weber costs so much. Mr. Bug and I simply can't justify spending $700-800 for a new one.

Also, another brand that we love is Dyson. Mr. Bug thought I was crazy when I dropped $400 on a vacuum 5 years ago, but our Dyson is one hell of a workhorse. We have a cat and a dog and I think we'd be buried in pet fur if not for the Dyson. My parents didn't believe it until I hauled it to their house. They vacuumed with their Bissel, and I followed up with the Dyson and my mom was horrified at what the Dyson picked up that her vacuum was missing.

Back