Problems 450 and 460 in NCEES SEII

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Problem 450:

1- What load combination is this 1.2D+1.0E+1.0L besides they added both Roof live load "Lr" and snow load "S" even though you have to use only one of them in any load combination.

In the load combination they used 0.9D+1.0E, the dead load and seismic load supposed to be subtracted from each other not added to each other.

2- Why they did not include the SDS any load combinations?

In Foundation design:

1- No load combinations used even though there are 3 load combinations shall be used

2- The pedestal was not designed according to the SDC "D" , the hoops shall be completely different

Any Explanation.

Problem 460:

1- Why in the solution, the chord force was magnified by omega node? As far as I know Omega nods is used with drag struts not collectors, any explanation?

2- Why the solution did not consider at line "C" to determine the chord force, is this because there is no shear wall at that line?

Thanks

Problem 450:1- What load combination is this 1.2D+1.0E+1.0L besides they added both Roof live load "Lr" and snow load "S" even though you have to use only one of them in any load combination.

I think it should be: (1.2 + 0.2SDS)D + rhoQE + f1L + f2S, and the equipment should be treated as dead load. SDS = 0.733

1.3466(26.72k)+25.8K +0.7(13.5) = 71.2 Kips

In the load combination they used 0.9D+1.0E, the dead load and seismic load supposed to be subtracted from each other not added to each other.

I think it should be: (0.9 - 0.2SDS)D - rhoQE

0.735(26.72k) - 25.8k = -5.7 Kips

2- Why they did not include the SDS any load combinations? They are wrong.
See my response to the first part above.. Still thinking about the rest..

Thanks BLMedCalf

Please add this question to problem 450.

Why they did not consider the amplification factor "Ax"?

Problem 460:
1- Why in the solution, the chord force was magnified by omega node? As far as I know Omega nods is used with drag struts not collectors, any explanation?

2- Why the solution did not consider at line "C" to determine the chord force, is this because there is no shear wall at that line?

Thanks
1) I think collectors are drag struts. They drag the diaphragm shear into the diaphragm A-C @ line 2 (if there is continuity btwn the BM1s).

2) The problem asked to check a beam at a certain location probably to check for your ability to determine chord forces at locations other than the middle of the diaphragm. You would use the chord force @ C for that connection.

Problem 460:

Thanks
1) I think collectors are drag struts. They drag the diaphragm shear into the diaphragm A-C @ line 2 (if there is continuity btwn the BM1s).

2) The problem asked to check a beam at a certain location probably to check for your ability to determine chord forces at locations other than the middle of the diaphragm. You would use the chord force @ C for that connection.
Thanks mjbikes

1- Sorry it's my bad. I should say I know Omega nods is used with drag struts not CHORDS instead of collectors. So, my question is still valid why they used omega node to design the chord.

2- What I mean by my question why in the analysis the solution did not consider a support at line C. They solved the diaphragm as one span not two spans with support at line C. This is what I mean.

Problem 460:

Thanks

Thanks mjbikes

1- Sorry it's my bad. I should say I know Omega nods is used with drag struts not CHORDS instead of collectors. So, my question is still valid why they used omega node to design the chord.

2- What I mean by my question why in the analysis the solution did not consider a support at line C. They solved the diaphragm as one span not two spans with support at line C. This is what I mean.
1) THe chord tension/compression load is generated from Eh. since it is a collector (no shear wall supporting it) the overstrength factor needs to be applied.

2) There is no shear wall on line C. Vs is the reaction to the lateral loading at line J. Ws is the per foot lateral loading for diaphragm C-J only. The diaphragm moment at 81ft from line J is 19k x 81ft - moment from the uniform load Ws over the 81ft. Drawing the beam diagrams will help.

Problem 460:

Thanks

Thanks mjbikes

1) THe chord tension/compression load is generated from Eh. since it is a collector (no shear wall supporting it) the overstrength factor needs to be applied.

2) There is no shear wall on line C. Vs is the reaction to the lateral loading at line J. Ws is the per foot lateral loading for diaphragm C-J only. The diaphragm moment at 81ft from line J is 19k x 81ft - moment from the uniform load Ws over the 81ft. Drawing the beam diagrams will help.

Thanks again mjbikes

1) This chord is working as collector in E-W direction but in the problem they neglected the seismic in E-W direction and they designed for N-S direction only. This chord can be designed using omega node if it is designed to resist the collector force in (E-W) direction not the chord force in the (N-S) direction.

In my opinion, the chord should be designed without omega node in (N-S) direction and with omega node in (E-W) direction and since the problem ignored (E-W) direction; the chord should not be designed using omega node.

Back