Pressure Washers - any recommendations?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
I looking for a reasonably priced but durable pressure washer for non-commercial use. I need to clean siding, decks. etc.

I don't want one I need to tow, but don't want a toy either.

recommendations

gas?

electric?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever the house brand at home depot is husky? is the kind we have. electric. it suits are purposes and haven't had any trouble. it was like $120

I have an electric Husky power washer and I would recommend it. The pressure it puts out was pretty good and it was cheap. So far its held up for 4 years of use and abuse. My biggest complaint was that managing the hose and power cable was a HUGE pain in the ass. The hose is a high pressure non-flexing hose that is impossible to roll up for storage in any reasonable way.

thanks for the input. I want to use it to clean some brick/masonry. Others have said the increased pressure from the gas -powered ones is worth it for masonry. Also, I'm told that you should add a water filter on the inlet side to protect the pump from minerals, etc. that are in the water.

IMHO, the gas powered models are far superior. Remember to look at both PSI and GPM in comparing models. Some cheaper gas models have as high a PSI as a more expensive model, but a lower GPM, which makes any task take longer. But if budget is more important than time, they will clean just as well. Also, I suggest looking for a unit with removable spray tips set at different angles, as opposed to the single adjustable tip. I'm personally a big fan of Honda's small engines.

I've used pressure washers for a long time. My summer job growing up was washing boat hulls (among other things) at the local marina. I've never seen a water filter used on a pressure washer. I'm sure there is some value in it, but I've never had any problems with the units I've used, and they had very heavy use. Of course, they were more heavy duty commercial models.

Also, a common mistake when using a pressure washer is leaving the engine running too long with no water flow. People like to spray for a while, and then put down the wand and start scrubbing a particular area, spraying chemical, or get a sandwich, all with the engine and pump still running. Its fine to leave it running with no flow for a little while, but if its going to be minutes you need to shut it down. Otherwise you can tear up the pump. On a related note, never let your idiot brother in law borrow your pressure washer.

Good luck finding what you need.

Back