Preparing for the PM Geotech Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PhillyEngr

Preparing for the PM Geotech Depth

This topic will cover the the nuts and bolts of preparing for Geotech Depth exam. Some of the key elements in the preparation process include:

1. How to plan for Geotech Depth

- Required Reference Materials List

- Optional Reference Materials List

- Topics of focus and alloted effort

- Additional topics to be covered for extra points

2. Study Schedule

- 15-Week Program starting Thursday from exam date

- Focussed weekly study schedule

- Input format/postings

- Countdown Timer to the exam

3. Geotech Depth Reference Material/Problems

- Establish links to existing reference material

- Link to space for additional material

- Suggested focused study per topic w/listed ref

4. Problems on Eng Board

- Share problems by topic/weekly

- Provide solutions/discussion/answers

5. Practice Exams

- How many to take

- Post a complete Practice Exam/Exams

- Grading Performance/Areas to improve

6. Exam Day Preparation

- Sleep/Rest Schedule

- References to take/Consolidated list

- Other Suggestions

Please provide input and suggestions to improve the structure or whatever works for the to-be users.

Philly-

This may end up being my savior....I will post whatever information I have shortly...

ktulu

Philly, I am in the Philly area too....I will try to help as much as I can with this as I just went thru it for the Oct Exam and will be at it again for April....I am taking the Drexel class on Tuesday nights....Soil Mechanics if Feb 6th & 13th....at 7pm.....Let's beat this April test together....

Philly, I am in the Philly area too....I will try to help as much as I can with this as I just went thru it for the Oct Exam and will be at it again for April....I am taking the Drexel class on Tuesday nights....Soil Mechanics if Feb 6th & 13th....at 7pm.....Let's beat this April test together....
Hey Hockeyfan960 good to hear that you are from Philly. I took the review course at UDel for the April 2006 exam but was so busy that could only show up for the Oct exam with a 2 week prep time. I am positive that hard work and practice will help turn our fortunes around for April 07. Hard luck for the Flyers though!!!

Do you have suggestions to get this off the ground. I would ask everyone reading this post the same.

Spend a week or so getting all the reference material together.....then work problems...work problems and work a few more problems...I will post the reveiw material (if I can) from the review class and we can compare notes...say once a week or so to help keep each other on track....Tonight is Water Treatment so get a copy of Metcalf & Eddy and start reading....hahahaha

Valley Forge is an awesome place...I have spent many sunny summer days just hanging around out there...watch out for the deer at night though....they have a hugh herd that lives in the park....

I received two reference books in the mail yesterday. Two that ARJ had suggested in a previous thread....

Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practice

by Codotu

Geotechnical Engineering Workbook, 6th Edition

by Chelapati

Several problems in the workbook struck a serious memory nerve. They were extremely similar to actual test problems...

These two I would go out on a limb and label "must haves"....

ktulu

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
My books....

Terzaghi & Peck - Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice

Lambe & Whiteman - Soil Mechanics (don't think I opened this one)

Budhu - Introduction to Soil Mechanics

Sowers - Introductory Soil Mechanics and Foundations

6 minutes Solutions for Geotech - one problem was very similar

My main reference was my class notes from grad school. I have some of these in pdf and will get them posted. Also, if there is a particular topic that anyone needs some notes on, let me know and I will get my material scanned.

My books....Terzaghi & Peck - Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice

Lambe & Whiteman - Soil Mechanics (don't think I opened this one)

Budhu - Introduction to Soil Mechanics

Sowers - Introductory Soil Mechanics and Foundations

6 minutes Solutions for Geotech - one problem was very similar

My main reference was my class notes from grad school. I have some of these in pdf and will get them posted. Also, if there is a particular topic that anyone needs some notes on, let me know and I will get my material scanned.
Dear sir,

You are good man. Please scanned and post it.

Hassan

Last edited:
Back