power sample exam problem 10

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kduff70

Reaction score
Hi Im working problems in Camara Power Sample Exam P.10 and I cannot under why they use the SQRT3 when I dont not see any formula using the SQRT3 can someone explain what Im missing I have attach the problem. I thought theanswer would be 9 mirco farads but i didnt use the SQRT3 I didnt think I needed it

thank you

camera problem 10.pdf

Attachments

• camera problem 10.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 40
The fundamental equation to keep in mind here is your 3-phase power equation, which can take different forms. For apparent power, it is:

S = SQRT(3) * Line Voltage * Line Current

This equation works for any 3-phase system, regardless of whether it's wye or delta connected. If you know the impedance, you can use this form since Current = V/Z:

S = SQRT(3) * V * (V/Z) = SQRT(3) * (V(Squared) / Z)

You can tweak it slightly to instead get Reactive Power:

Q = SQRT(3) * (V(Squared) / X)

In this case, you're trying to find the Capacitive VARs needed to correct an Inductive Reactance of 150 VARs. In other words, your Q in the above equation will equal -150 VARs, and then you rearrange and solve for your required capacitive reactance, X. Then of course you use the formula:

X = 1 / 2*pi*f*C

and solve for your Capacitance, C.

For the record, I ended up with a Capacitive Reactance of -498 Ohms, which gave me a Capacitance of 5.32 microFarads. Since I was using my phone calculator I'm sure there were some rounding errors, so I'm assuming the correct answer was B, correct?

thank you J Dubbs your right I have to keep it in my mind that this is a three phase power equation

Kduff check out my attachment. It should explain everything regarding problem #10.

Kduff70.pdf

Attachments

• Kduff70.pdf
    970.5 KB · Views: 42
kduff, I made one slight error above regarding calculating the three-phase apparent power (S). Multiply the line-line voltage and current by the square root of 3.

It's a nitpick but the problem diagram has the wrong value for apparent power (S).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back