POWER PE used internationally

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim gisa

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am a Korean eletrical engineer preparing for POWER PE, and currently working for Oil & Gas EPC company in KOREA.

I've always wondered about usage of PE on worldwide. Please answer if you have answer for following of my questions.

1. How is PE been used when the project (especially EPC lump-sum projects) is located in foreign countries.

2. If not used, how is having PE been recognized as engineer.

3. How did PE effect on your job finding in other countries (such as Europe, Canada and etcs)

I would really apperciate for your reading.

Thank you!

If you are PE in one state....you are only PE in that state of the united states. Doesn't mean for example that if you are PE in the state of Alabama you are automatically license to practice engineering in spain. All countries have their own laws and own requirements. You need to fulfill the requirements of that country to practice engineering. Lets say for example that Im PE in multiple states ex. Florida, California, Alabama, etc. and i want to perform engineering in Peru. To be licensed in Peru I need to fullfill the requirements in Peru to be licensed...it could be that they accept my license from one of the states or it could be that i need to take an engineering test that the peru government use to grant licenses.

This is the same even for states inside united states...almost all of them you can get license by comity but you need to fulfill the requirement for that state to become licensed...do all the paper work..pay fees...etc.

Thanks for your reply,

1. Yes, i know that the fact is although when you are licensed in one state, you are required to be verified if you want to be licensed in other states. Also, Licensed in USA doesn't mean that you can practice in other countries. There isn't many countries that have PE systems such as US( countries I know are US, CANADA, JAPAN, KOREA, SINGAPORE, UK, AUSTRALIA)

2. However, I wanted to know how major CLIENTS (such as ARAMCO, TAKREER, EXXON and etcs) and EMPLOYERS (such as BECHTEL , FLUOR and so on ) would consider the qualification of engineer with PEs. ( I am not considering of immigration to US and even if I would, I know VISA will be problem.

3. My sole purpose of this question is to find motivation fo study PE, as foreigner.

Hello. If you are working for a US firm they would likely look favorably upon getting your PE, even if you can't use it since you're working overseas. It would demonstrate a certain level of knowledge in the field and familiarity with US electrical standards. I work for an international company and I would be impressed with a Korean national having their PE. Ultimately it would look good, but there may be similar/equivalent tests in your country that may be more useful.

I would recommend reading a lot about the requirements to take and pass the PE. They are quite strict and want a good deal of experience or a degree from a US accredited college.

Back