Power of voltage series

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaBino

Reaction score
The answer is suppose to be B.

Would someone give the correct solution?

Is this type problem fair-game for the Power exam?

Thanks.

21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your error is being made by the fact you cannot apply superposition to multiple sine wave sources of the same frequency but different phases.

If you plot 4sqrt(2)cos(120*pi*t)-6cos(120*pi*t+30) you will see it has little power.

I have the pertinent equation at home I can get at lunch time.

Maybe someone else will provide it in the mean time.

Edit: Actually you can just do it with phasor notation.

First note the power from the 3 volt source and the 2cos(240*pi*t) source is 5mW.

The rest is from the cos(120*pi*t) sources

(5.65 - 6<30) = 3.034<-81

3*3/2/2200 = 2.04mW

So...

(3^2+(2^2+(3.035)^2)/2)/2200 = 7.045mW

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly can't guarantee anything, but I wouldn't expect a problem like this on the Power exam. It looks more like a communications question to me. I expect questions on the power exam to be more in the MW range than the mW range.

I certainly can't guarantee anything, but I wouldn't expect a problem like this on the Power exam. It looks more like a communications question to me. I expect questions on the power exam to be more in the MW range than the mW range.
I agree. In fact that looks sort of like a problem I recognize from studying for that communications exam many moons ago.

I did not see anything similar on the Electronics exam. However, there was one in the practice test from NCEES, so I think it is fair game at least for the Electronics exam.

Back